Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaves dying??

Posted by Jcdaniels2 Zone 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 9:24

Ive been noticing that one of my jp maples leaves started dying and I have no Idea whats wrong, there soil is moist not to wet not to dry and if you add too much water the soil will drain through to the bottom of the pot so It can't be over/under watered, For awhile these maples were growing like wildfire but now they have stopped I don't see any more leaf stems coming out or anything?? The only thing I could maybe think of would be the sun, Its been raining 24/7 for weeks, the sun might come out for a day but if its not raining its cloudy, Could it be the humidity or the lack of sun?? please reply so I can help them, also there were aphids on them bout maybe a month or two ago and I used seven dust and that took care of that and there was no Adverse reactions to it that I know of, And another thing, I don't leave them on the porch I put them on a table away from all the rain.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaves dying??

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 13:44

The soil looks very water-retentive, which is a problem. There is no question that it's too wet in the picture to allow the plant to grow well. The bottom of the pots are probably completely saturated. Also, what have you been fertilizing with?

Your soils should look something like one of these:
 photo 5yearsold109.jpg
 photo 013.jpg

Al

o

I don't use fertilizer, Figured they were too young and it would burn them up, I will get a bag of soil that looks like that, no wait nevermind I have rocks like that in my drive way. Thanks so much and don't worry I will clean the rocks beforehand :D and I will let you know if the bottom of the pot was full of water, im sure it is though

o

Well I think I figured out what the problem was and it has been corrected, when I pulled out the soil from the pot it was so compacted there was no way no roots could grow and it was completely dry?? I guess there was more Sun than I figured, As soon as I got the roots free I took my spray bottle and soaked them because they looked like they were dehydrated, poor things, also let me know if these are good enough rocks :D

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 13:53

You should take a moment to regroup, before you commit to a heading that's in the wrong direction.

If you're serious about learning how to maintain trees & other woody plants in a container, you'll need to learn about soils and how to make or at least recognize a soil that will allow your plants to grow to their potential within the limits other cultural conditions impose. You'll need to learn about how vital a good nutritional supplementation program is; and you'll need to understand how to maintain the trees root system to ensure good health over the long term.

Growing in containers is as holistic an endeavor as growing in the ground, but much of what works in your gardens and beds should stay there, and not be applied to container culture. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being growing in the earth and 10 being growing hydroponically, container culture would be about a 7 or 8, quite different than growing in the ground.

A good place to start learning about soils, which probably represents the most important choice you'll make for each of your containerized plants, is at the link below.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More about soils if you click me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here