Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atmoscat

Should I buy this japanese maple?

atmoscat
9 years ago

I could really use some expert opinions on this dilemma.
Back in the spring, I fell in love with this Japanese maple (dissectum, cultivar is 'Watnong') and put it on hold. At the time, it was just beginning to leaf out. We had a few late frosts, and unfortunately the new growth got frost damaged. (I think they must have shipped it from a warmer climate and put it out too early.) I've been monitoring it since then (at the nursery), and it did get a second flush of leaves, but some of the branch tips never recovered, especially on top. Some are still black-ish with no leaves, while others have started to turn white. I know the white ones are probably dead, but at least some of the black ones still have green under the bark (fingernail test).

What I loved about this tree to begin with was the overall shape, size, and symmetry. It's big (about 5 ft tall and wide) and I haven't seen many dissectums that have multiple levels of mature branching like this one. It's more appealing to me than the more common ones trained to have a long trunk with all the branches at the top. I also liked the delicate look and color of the foliage when it was first leafing out (sort of a pinky-orange in spring with upswept branch tips - see picture below). It was the only one of this cultivar that they had, but I researched it online and liked what I could see of the coloring from the pictures. I really like the idea of the red/green bicolor instead of the more common solid red or green.

The problem now is that because of the frost damage, the foliage is pretty sparse and some of the leaves have some frost burn. There are also some bare branches that never leafed out. The red new growth over green older growth is pretty, but it's somewhat irregular and the green is "muddier" than I had expected (as it fades from red). It looks much better than it did a month ago, but I'm still disappointed in how it looks now. I'm finding it hard to gauge whether my disappointment is because of the frost damage or if it's the cultivar itself. Unfortunately since it's an uncommon cultivar I haven't been able to find other specimens locally that I can look at to get a sense of how it would look without the damage. I also don't know how quickly it will recover from the damage in the future or if it will recover at all.

I'm at the point where I have to make a decision about whether to keep it or not. The garden center will give me store credit if I decide not to take delivery (in keeping with its size, it was quite expensive.) I still love the overall shape and like the red/green combination in theory. I'm just not in love with its current appearance. (Still, there are no other JMs at this nursery that I prefer to this one.)

Some questions to help me decide:
Will any of the branch tips that haven't leafed out this year recover next year?

The woman at the garden center said she'd recommend pruning the bare branches, but I did some online research that said not to prune damaged branches too soon because they may recover. If I keep it, should I prune them or wait to see what happens next year?

If the branches don't recover or if I prune them, will the overall shape of the tree be seriously compromised? How long will it take it to recover (that is, for not just the leaves, but the damaged branches, some of which are a foot in length, to grow back)?

If I do keep it, will I need to worry about frost damage in future (typical) years, or will the tree be better acclimated to the climate here (6a/5b) once it's planted?

Should I go ahead and keep it, even with the damage?

I tried to take some pictures to show the current condition, but I realize it may be difficult to see the details. Actually, I think it looks better in the pictures than in person (colors are brighter and bare branches are harder to see.)

Thanks in advance for your advice!

First picture is an overall view (it's the one in the middle). You can see the bare branch tips at the top and right side.

Comments (13)

• atmoscat
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Another shot, showing shape and bare branches at top.

• atmoscat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up of some bare branches

• atmoscat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What it looked like in spring before damage occurred.

• michael1846
    9 years ago

I would (did you end up getting it?)

• atmoscat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your input! I haven't gotten it yet, but I should decide soon. So, you don't think the damage is too bad?

• nyboy
    9 years ago

They should give a discount for damage, did you ask?

• atmoscat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have not asked, but you're right, I should. They want to charge me an arm and a leg for delivery since it's so big. Maybe I can get them to throw it in free.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Frozen branch tips on JM's can be pretty common and often are black in color. They will not re-leaf and should be removed. And the stress of experiencing a late frost (or lack of sufficient acclimation) can result in sparse and less than vigorous foliage, typical to what the tree looks like now.

That said, these can be remarkably resilient little trees and planted in the ground with a bit of time for establishment, it should improve its looks 100%. It is not easy to tell from the photos but it does not look like its overall form and structure was significantly compromised by its brush with cold weather. If the price was right - your call - I'd get it.

• atmoscat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, gardengal, that is really good to know. Yes, you're right that there's no damage to the major structural branches. It's just the terminal growth, pencil size or less. So, that's 2 yes votes, or 3 if I can get a discount. That makes me feel better. I will probably go ahead with it.

Will it be okay to plant it now or is it too hot? Should I wait until fall?

Thanks for your help!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Depends on where you live :-) In most areas, planting in midsummer is discouraged for all sorts of reasons but it still is done successfully. As long as you can tend it properly in the meantime, I might consider waiting until cooler temps and more rain in fall.

• atmoscat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, I should have re-posted my location. I'm in zone 6a, eastern MA. It's pretty hot here right now. The nursery will hold it (and take care of it) until I'm ready to plant. The site will be ready after some landscape work is done this week, but I can ask them to continue to hold it until fall if that would be better.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I would plant it as soon as you can dig the hole. Next week, you say? That would be fine. It's growing in a pot. No transplant shock that I can see as long as it won't get a lot more sun in it's new location than it's getting at the nursery now. Water as needed throughout the summer until the rains and cooler temps arrive and the leaves fall off.
    When I visited Massachusetts fourteen years ago, I was surprised at the density of trees adjacent to I-90 all the way from Boston to Stockbridge. A pleasant surprise.
    Mike

• atmoscat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, there's no shortage of trees around here! Thank you all for your helpful advice. I feel much better now about going ahead with the tree. I'll let you know next spring how it's doing!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz