Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
f005_2010

problems with autumn blae maple

f005_2010
13 years ago

We planted an autumn blaze this spring, and it doesn't look well. The leaves are droopy, and dried out holes in it. The front yard where we planted it has some dense clay soil. the spot has only a slight slant to it (only a few inches), so we planted it somewhat in between the high and lowest level. We did not add any soil amendments, but when we dug the hole the 6 inches of top soil mixed with the clay, so the backfill is kind of a cocktail of topsoil and clay. I try to water it 2-3 times a week, factoring rainfall.

I could raise the bed, but would that be enough? Would it live but only grow really slow instead of feet per year that its supposed to? Not sure if we should just find a different spot with better soil for it, or raise it since the reading I've found on it says it "tolerates" the clay soil. I guess I'm not sure what "tolerate" really means. Does that mean it would live but not thrive? Or would it thrive if I just let it be, or if I made the necessary adjustments or soil amendments, would it thrive, or merely live?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County