Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do sugar maple trees grow out of leaf scorch?

Posted by eddie980 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 11:24

Howdy, fellow gardeners and tree lovers. I have a young sugar maple tree here in southeast Tennessee (Chattanooga) zone 7a . This sugar maple has been growing on my property for about 4 years. I bought the tree from Forest Farm online nursery (the company is located in Williams OR). This sugar maple has fresh mulch, a little tree tone fertilizer in the spring and plenty of water. But every year around the middle of July until the end of August the tree sub comes to leaf scorch. Other than leaf scorch the tree is healthy with average to above average leaf size and puts on two to three feet of new growth a year. So my question is will the tree mature out of this leaf scorch phase as it gets older or should I replace the tree with a hardy sugar maple cultivar? Thank You, any suggestion would be great. I hate seeing this tree suffer every summer with leaf scorch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do sugar maple trees grow out of leaf scorch?

The whole tree

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 22:34

Is that actually leaf scorch? I'm not used to it looking like that.

What cultivar do you have? Many Sugar maples are susepctible to leaf scorch and will never out grow it per say.

Need to a select a cultivar that is resistant.

o

Hi Whaas, I think it might be because it only shows up around July and August the hottest two months here in Chatt. This sugar maple is a generic type not a cultivar. Thanks for responding :).

o

Howdy :)

o

"Scorch" is due to water shortage. Give it more water. Not soggy, but evenly moist.

o

Thanks Jean, I thought it'd be a little more adapted with it being in the ground for the past 4 years but I guess not. I'll up its watering.

o

Although Sugar maples are native in TN, if you bought a generic, non named tree, you have no way of knowing if its seed came from TN, or somewhere like Ohio or Vermonet....seed provenance matters.

It might do better over time simply by having a more extensive root system, but in your zone you are better off with either verifiable TN seed source, or a named variety like Legacy or the Caddo types that tolerate hot summers better.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 19:39

One of my chlorotic maples is showing what you have there.

Looking more closely your plant appears to be nutrient deficient.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here