Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cant identify the Disease

Posted by thezennewbie Georgia (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 28, 09 at 11:37

My new maple that i ordered off the internet has a strange disease i cant identify. The spots look like dark spots with powdered mildew but holes are forming in them. I've never dealt with maples before this is my first deciduous tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: picture

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cant identify the Disease

Well more specifically after the leaves fall will the tree survive and will the spots return next season?

o

Is that how the tree looked when you received it? Have you contacted the vendor with your concerns?

First, the tree looks overly stressed, probably from shipping during an ill-advised time of year and lack of water. The spotting is most likely a fungal leaf spot, Phyllosticta minima......it could very easily have developed if the tree was misted or packed while the foliage was still moist from watering. If the tree cannot be easily replaced (and I'd certainly pursue some sort of recourse with the vendor), just provide it the best care you can now. Unless extremely severe, this type of leaf spot is more of a cosmetic issue than one that will leave permanent damage so treating with a fungicide is not required. Just clean up any fallen leaves thoroughly now and in fall and dispose of them. The tree should be fine next season.

I would not accept a tree that arrived in such poor condition!

o

Thank You so much. Its been very hard to contact the vendor. I visited their website and emailed them a day or so before i posted this and still no response. There also was not a phone number to contact so i guess i will try and care for the tree.

o

Was it the TyTy nursery by any chance?

o

No, Id prefer not to name the nursery, times are hard and i dont want to hurt any1s business

o

That's nice that they sent you diseased plants (illegal) they won't return your calls (fraud) and you don't want to hurt their business.
How about all the other customers that are getting burned?
You sound like a really nice person but you're sticking up for the wrong people.

Hopefully you used a credit card and can call up your credit card company and dispute the charge. That is the easiest way to get justice in these situations.

o

Hmm in that sense I purchased it from http://www.japanesemaple.net/ its one of the sponsored links for several variations of "buy japanese maples online".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here