Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
maple with V-crotch starting to split

Posted by tenacre none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 11:47

About 3 years ago I added a tether to the two leaders in an attempt to prevent them from splitting in strong winds.

This spring and summer we have had very heavy rainstorms with high winds. When I was inspecting the tree about a week ago, I noticed that a split appears to be forming.

At the crotch, the girth of the leader on the left is 11.2", and the right is 14". At the bottom of the split, the girth of the trunk is 17.5"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: maple with V-crotch starting to split

Here's a closer view of the split

o

Close-up of the bottom of the split:

o

Close-up of tether:

o

I'm considering drilling a hole straight through and installing a 3/4" bolt (black horizontal line in photo)

This post was edited by tenacre on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 12:04

o

Fun to play around with, but I would cut it off at the ground.
Mike

o

I plan to get as many years enjoyment from this tree as possible. I have no intention of cutting it off at the ground.

Below is a view from our kitchen window. The tree in question is the orange one slightly right of center.

o

It does look nice from a distance. I would try to keep it as long as possible as well.

o

So would I.
It didn't look like anything special in your first pics. Not even a name and it was at the edge of the woods.
Looks a little different now.
Bo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here