Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommomsgarden

Jap maple dead?

mommomsgarden
10 years ago

Can someone please offer some advice? I'm not sure what happened to my maple it was big and beautiful and has dissipated! I water almost every other day.

Comments (6)

• mommomsgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Photo

• Huggorm
    10 years ago

What have you done to the soil, it looks like you have done some recent digging? You might have injured the root system. Or is that maple just recently planted there?

• mommomsgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No it's been there a few years almost 5! I planted some plants along the edge of the bed but that's it!

• greenhavenrdgarden
    10 years ago

This happened to 2 of my maples ...Corallinum and Carnival. The culprit with mine was under watering. I thought they were getting all the rain fall CT had last month but in reality they weren't. They looked exactly like that. Are you sure that its getting enough water? Could you be overwatering? Did you get water on the leaves while the HOT sun was on it? Sometimes my plants get crispy when I water during the hottest part of the day bc the water acts like a magnifying glass and cooks the leaves.
    If you can figure out the culprit and correct it then the tree could be ok. I read that they have an emergency reserve of leaves. The Carnival (which crisped up a week before the other) has a new set of leaves pushing through already. My other tree still has the crispy leaves clung to it and I'm not sure if I should pull them off or let them fall on their own. As if right now I'm watering them well and letting them recoup on their own.
    I'm sorry I can't give you an exact answer as to what is wrong but being that I found new leaves on one of my trees this morning I thought I'd tell you there was hope for yours also.
    Good luck.

• mommomsgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much. I think it may be a case of over watering actually. Bc I was watering everyday then I went to every other. So I should leave the crunchy leaves?

• greenhavenrdgarden
    10 years ago

To be honest I don't know. My Corralinum has the crispy leaves clinging to them. The Carnival had its leaves fall on its own. There are too many leaves for me to pull off of the Corallinum and they don't come off easy so I'm just leaving it be for now. I don't see any new leaves yet but this one just crisped up the other day. I'm hoping it will grow another set like the Carnival did. I'm hoping its not dead. The stems still look great and have green in them when I scratch the surface so I think I have a chance.
    Be careful with watering and keep your fingers crossed. I'll be right there with you doing the same for my tree :)