Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xman_gw

Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum'

xman
18 years ago

Hi,

I noticed a 5 gallon Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' about 2 feet tall and about 3-4 years old(according to the nursery) in a nursery listed at $105.

Is this price reasonable? and also, since I am planning to grow this in a container on my patio (gets a couple hours of sun) in TX, is it worth the risk given that A.S. Aureum is not easy to grow especially in TX?

thanks,

xman

Comments (8)

• Ozark_Rich
    18 years ago

Xman,
    "Is this price reasonable?"
    I guess whether it is reasonable, depends on how much you want it. But having said that, the price seems a little higher than what you can find it for here in Northwest Arkansas. But again, finding it is the operative word, because it is rare, and as you said not easy to grow, and so sometimes you have to take what you can find.
    Hope this helps,
    Rich

• mjh1676
    18 years ago

I would expect to find that tree here for no less than $80 and probably closer to $95. So when all is said and done it is relative to the tune of $10-20 dollars. So if it is healthy and you want it, and even better if it comes with a guarantee, then you are in pretty good shape.

Michael

• xman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am planning to keep it in its container and on my patio that faces east. The patio gets about 2-3 hours of the morning TX Sun. Do you think this is ok or will it require more shade?

thanks,
    xman

• mjh1676
    18 years ago

xman,

I think that will be fine. Up until just a week ago, I had mine in full sun and it held up ok. I can do this in the spring and fall, but when the temps get up over 90 I will start to see some leaf burn and scorching if the tree gets direct exposure after about 1pm.

So now I have in in its lagre ceramic pot under a mature ash tree with just some limited sun in the middle of the day, maybe 11-1pm. It will be fine. I don't know that the following advice is worth much, but when I have had my Aureums in full shade they don't do as well. I acutally think it is because the soil mediums don't dry out as fast. But in anycase, I have used partial expsure in mid-day and last year I put the tree in North to NW expsure where it got sun, lower on the horizon, late in the day. This worked very well. If you can put a little more air in your mix for this tree with more fir bark or perlite, I think it will benifit.

MJH

• flowerfan2
    18 years ago

I just bought one at our local farmer's market for $40. It is similar in size. I guess I got a great deal. He only had 2 and he sold them both right away.

• mainegrower
    18 years ago

Just thought a. s. aureum growers might be interested in this. A nearby nursery which specializes in large plants for landscapers has/had an a. s. aureum for sale. It was about 7 or 8 feet tall and 5 to 6 feet wide with a trunk circumference of perhaps 8 to 10 inches. The price? $2200. I hve no idea if it has been sold. This is the largest a. s. aureum I've ever seen outside of a botanical garden.

• jacquot
    18 years ago

I've seen that size in my area, for about $4,000. I haven't tried this cultivar (it would have been a small one) because of all I've heard regarding growing difficulties. I've seen some beauties, however. I have an A. s. 'Autumn Moon' that I love and it seems quite hardy.

• katskan41
    14 years ago

Hi all. My wife and I are thinking about adding one of these trees to our yard. Looks like they will be expensive.

We are in Z5 (Michigan) and wondering where we would find such a tree and if it has any issues we should know about before buying.

Any feedback from owners is appreciated.

Thanks

Dave