Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jveirs

Emotional Attatchment to a Young Dying Maple. Please help!

jveirs
13 years ago

Hello all.

About a year ago, my neglected houseplant, Murphy, died and his planter got moved on to my balcony. A Maple tree's helicopter seed floated into Murphy's soil and after a few months, a baby maple tree sprouted up. We named him Murphy 2.0.

My boyfriend did most of the watering and caring for Murphy 2.0, and after another year and even a long winter, he happily grew to about shoulder height. We decided it was probably time to replant him, as he was outgrowing his tiny planter.

However, my boyfriend left the country before we could replant our Maple. About a month of excruciating summer heat passed, and I forgot to water Murphy 2.0.

When I discovered his state of yellowed crunchy leaves, I freaked out. I did what now seems like the worst thing I could of done. I bought him a bigger planter and different soil. When I replanted him, I kept the old soil and surrounded it with the new in a bigger planter. He is still standing in the same location. I have also started watering him again, but I don't know if this is making it better or worse. His state has not changed much in the last couple of weeks.

My boyfriend is going to be very sad if Murphy 2.0 does not make it. Is there anything at all I can do? I read somewhere to drill holes around the edge of the roots and fill them with fertilizer.

I am obviously out of my element with this type of thing. Please help!

Here are some pics:

{{gwi:1044727}}

{{gwi:1044728}}

{{gwi:1044729}}

{{gwi:1044730}}
If they don't display, you can view them at the following URLs:

http://jordanveirs.com/tree4.jpg

http://jordanveirs.com/tree3.jpg

http://jordanveirs.com/tree2.jpg

http://jordanveirs.com/tree1.jpg

Comments (6)

• musicalperson
    13 years ago

Looks like murphy is dead.
    That's the trouble with growing trees in pots. It's a lot of work. You have to water daily or multiple times a day in hot dry weather. You can't forget or go out of town and hope that mother nature will give you a second chance. It doesn't work that way. And no, there is no miracle fertilizer that will make a tree come back from the dead. Trees like red maple don't make good potted plants. Murpy would have been much happier living in the ground.

You appreciated something that most of us take for granted. A lot of us spend countless hours pulling maple volunteers out of unwanted places. Put a few bare pots out there in february and you're probably get murphy 3.0 and this time, get murphy v3 in the ground by may 1st. Mulch well and water until established.

• Mike Larkin
    13 years ago

The first thing trees do when stressed is to loose leaves. They dry and fall off. There is a chance that it is still alive. Scratch the bark with your finger nail, if you see a green under the bark, there is hope. Forget the fertilizer, water well then allow to dry, watch everyday. Stick your finger in soil, when it is dry water. It looks like it was planted in a pot that was too small. It should have been transplanted long ago. The small pot easily dried out esp. if it was hot for a long time. I will also say that if it does live, to go to the container forum and read about making some potting soil that will last a long time. The stuff in the bags at the garden centers is ok for a shirt time, but will not do well over a long period of time.

At some point if you do fertilize do not give it the does recommended on the bag, make a weak version and use it regularly. Use 1/4 strength, - on regular basis. Wait until you see new growth before you fertilize.

LOL - Mike

• jveirs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to both for a response.
    I have 2 questions.
    I did the fingernail scratch bark test, and discovered a very light yellow green. Kinda close to the color of lima beans or alfalfa sprouts... is this green enough to have hope that Murph might still indeed be alive?

And if he is, at what point should I replant in better potting soil?

• musicalperson
    13 years ago

Keep it watered and see if it sends out some new leaves.

• houstontexas123
    13 years ago

if its still alive its in hibernation mode. keep it in the shade, add some mulch or extra soil. too much exposed roots.

repotting should be done in late winter, early spring, when the tree is dormant.

• williamr
    13 years ago

jveirs,

I've had this happen to a number of potted maples over the years. If the plant doesn't recieve water when the leaves dry up and die, the next stage is that the branches die, and the last part to die is the trunk/stem/base. From your pictures, the little branches look dead, however, the "trunk" might still be alive so keep watered and hope for the best.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County