Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bvilleggiante

My Father Topped My Japanese Maples! What To Do?

bvilleggiante
13 years ago

Hello,

I'm brand new to this website, and brand new to gardening for that matter.

My wife and I purchased our first home about 4 months ago. The front yard is completely bare at this point (getting it ready to plant) with the exception of two Japanese Maple Trees. They are mature (my wife guesses they'd be about $300 each to buy) and were beautiful. One day while my wife and I were at work my father came over and absolutely cut the Maple branches down to nubs. We were so mad! He claimed he thought they were fruit tree...?

They've now had 4 months to regrow and I've taken my first stab at pruning one of them to try and eventually have it regrow to it's former glory. Off of each trimmed nub, I selected the largest branch and kept it. I then took two other branches on the same nub facing 90 degrees away from each other and kept them, clearing all other growth on the nub off. Am I doing this right? I also cleared any new growth happening on the bottom of the main trunk and cleared a lot of branches growing inward towards the center of the tree as to allow for more light penetration.

Please, any advice on how to save these once beautiful Maples?

Comments (7)

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Let them grow new branches for at least a few years before you start trying restorative pruning.

Meanwhile, if they are tall and sturdy enough you might try hanging him from one of the branches.

Fruit trees would not benefit from being turned into hat racks in July either. If your climate is at all hot and sunny in summer - as most populated parts of North America are - the first problem that may appear on the victims is burning of the branches. This is one of the reasons to leave them alone for awhile, to produce and retain as much replacement growth as possible.

• bvilleggiante
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey bboy,

The branches aren't strong enough to hang him yet, but I've got a couple of nice redwood beams in my garage that might do the trick :)

Just for my own personal knowledge, since I'm a newbie. Why am I waiting a couple of years to trim the maple? Is it to allow the branches to harden and have a better variety of branches to choose from? Until then, I guess I'll have to live with my maple bush :)

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

You want it to shade itself as quickly as possible, the more branches the more shade. The leaves on the branches are also what makes food (from the sun, this ability being of green plants being one of the marvels of our planet) - the more leaf area, the more food it can make. One of the problems with severe crown reduction is how it throws a tree's energy budget out of whack, sometimes mature specimens do not recover from this effect.

• bvilleggiante
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good explanation. Thanks for all of your help. I'll be following your advice.

• anderson_dc
    13 years ago

Why would your dad come and trim your tree? That's just plain crazy talk...

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Can you post photos? It's a little difficult to tell from your description just how severe the damage was and that will determine what your course of action should be going forward. Remedial pruning of a grossly mispruned J. maple is a tricky business.....they may never regain their former appearance.

FWIW, depending on cultivar, $300 for a mature JM is very conservative :-) I've seen them go for as much as multiple thousands.

And going forward, I'd make sure your dad was politely instructed NOT to undertake any more yard work without your express permission and direction.

• redraif
    13 years ago

OMG... I would cry! My mother over-pruned our dogwood trying to "help" shape it last season. I was trimming a broken branch on another tree and I came around the corner about 2 seconds to late the stop the madness. It looks like a Q-tip right now!! Sniff, sniff....

We bought some baby crimson Queens last year ($90 and $15). She said something about shaping it and cliping branches this spring. I told my mother she better not go near them with a 10 foot pole. There will be NO pruning on the Japanese maples!

Good Luck!