Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maple tree woes

Posted by johnwcm 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 13:34

Hi, I recently found a maple tree sapling at my freinds house. He was going to throw it out, but I took it. We put in sand just for transport. Two days at my house on the patio were spent in the sany pot. I then planted it into a soil pot for a day, but it was dropping leaves, so a day later i planted it in a shady spot underneath a hedge (actually pine trees very close together) A hurricane moved by my area recently. This was on Thursday night. Today i arrived back home from a vacation and to my horror, i found the leaves wilted and dry, I guess the storm water was not enough, i thought since it was in a shady area it would be ok for a weekend, and the storm was coming. I watered it a lot today, and am wondering what i should do ti hopefully save this sapling, it is about a foot tall. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maple tree woes

Without a picture it's hard to tell.
Your mistake was putting the recently potted maple seedling out on a sunny deck in sand.
About all you can do now is keep it watered.
With my experience I would pot it up with potting medium and keep it in the shade until it can handle more light. Then in the fall, put it in the ground for the winter.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here