Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is wrong with my Maple Tree? (photos included)

Posted by InCentralVA none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 13:35

Last year it was fine, this spring one branch looked dead and no leaves grew, now in July it looks like more branches have died, all about 20 feet up. Can anyone give us any advice on what might be causing this?
We live in Central Virginia, last couple of months have been hot but we've also had lots of storms and rain so i don't think it's from lack of water. I'm thinking maybe a disease or insect? We did notice the trunk is sometimes really dark, but it's been like that for 8+ years and leaves always showed up in spring, really nice yellow leaves in autumn. Just this year we have these dead branches and they are increasing in amount.

This post was edited by InCentralVA on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 14:00

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is wrong with my Maple Tree? (photos included)

Have several Certified Arborists out to investigate. Then compare their opinions.

Around here, verticillium wilt can cause the same symptoms.

o

• Posted by Liz321 6 - Detroit Metro (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 16:37

I actually just called my city to come check out a maple in front of my house. I believe it has verticillium wilt. My tree looks a great deal like yours.
In my research one of the big clues for wilt that my tree has - a massive overproduction of seeds slightly off season. That along with die out and rapid wilt at the crown of the tree on individual branches.
Jean's suggestion is probably a great idea. There was one other disease I saw that was similar, but it is difficult to tell which it might be without testing.

o

V wilt will leave dark streaks on branches and usually leave the leaves hanging on the branches, right?

I had an acer palmatum succumb to it this year and my neighbor is losing a lilac to what looks like the same. I emailed pics to an extension agent and he thought that was probably it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here