Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Maple has large black spot on bark

Posted by Snydervic 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 13:52

I just got back from the nursery with a very unsatisfying answer. This morning I noticed a very large, black spot on my JP I planted in May. Does anyone here know what this is? The leaves look good and there are a few small branches without leaves, but the tree looks generally healthy other than this spot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Maple has large black spot on bark

What answer did the nursery give you? Can you post pics of the whole tree and the base of the trunk where it's planted in the ground?

o

They said it was an infection of some kind and the tree will die or it might not.

o

Possibly a fungal or bacterial disease/canker.
What is black is unfortunately dead tissue and will peel/flake off in time. If this goes around the entire trunk, the tree will likely die, sorry. If there is some healthy tissue left on the other side that we cannot see in the picture, it may recover in time, but there will be a large visable area it will have to heal over like if you pruned a large limb off of a big tree.

o

What maple cultivar is it? Do you know who the grower was or where it originated? What did the label/tag look like?.....it can sometimes help identify the grower. I have a similar yellow leaved Japanese maple in a 20gal pot that has the exact same disease that I've been watching for the last few months. Ill have to check which cultivar it is. Mine is still in the pot and will be planted in October if it survives. This same disease was on another Acer cultivar last year, 'Seiryu' I think. It survived after it sloughed off the layer and is callusing over. Its growing fine now.

o

Does the dead tissue go around the entire trunk or is it on one side only? Is it getting larger? Currently my Acer palmatum 'Ukon' has this disease.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here