Comments (9)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

That be a winner, chicken dinner.

Dax

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Dax. What interests me in particular is the mix of colors on different leaves and on the same leaf. I suspect one of the parents is 'Yezo Nishiki' (based on proximity), which has this characteric as well, but the seedling colors look very "clean" for late July. It may be just because it's still so young. I'll move it in the fall and I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks for looking.

-Alex

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Alex, Nice seedling. Make sure you save this photo so you can compare it at the same time over the next few years and see if it remains constant. If it does you could end up with a sweet tree. Many nice trees can be had from random seedlings...there just not named cultvars.
    AL

• houzi
    11 years ago

Boo! I never seem to get exciting seedlings like yours,but then again I only get Bloodgood & Osakazuki seeds.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Nice maple seedling, Alex, you'll have to keep an eye out for more. And it looks like a nice spruce behind it to boot.

tj

• botann
    11 years ago

New growth a different color than the older growth is quite common. Keep an eye on it and see how it develops.

I raise a lot of Japanese maples from seed just to see what I get. Here's some.
    Mike
    {{gwi:1045061}}

{{gwi:1045062}}

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks AL, houzi, tj, and Mike.

Those are some nice seedlings, Mike. The first one especially looks pretty unique with the deeply cut lobes. Ever had any you thought were worth propagating?

• botann
    11 years ago

So far I've only propagated the maples from seed that I obtained from a maple collection 30 some years ago. I then take seed from the best and germinate those, and so on.
    So far nothing different enough to warrant cloning in my opinion, but I do have a lot of Fall color.
    In addition to Fall color, I judge a tree by the contrasting color of it's new growth, and the color of it's seeds. Some seeds on a tree are so red they look like blossoms from a distance.
    Raising Japanese Maples from seed is a lot of fun as you will find out. However, seedling raised trees are almost worthless in the market. Grafted, named varieties, are what the customer or collector want.
    Mike

{{gwi:49895}}

{{gwi:411825}}

• botann
    11 years ago

Here's one of my seedling derived Japanese Maples from 2003.
    The picture was taken in Nov. 2003 and was large then. I've been at it a long time.
    Mike
    {{gwi:1045063}}