Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maple_grove_cr

Beni Komachi

maple_grove_gw
11 years ago

Here are some photos of Acer palmatum 'Beni Komachi' taken earlier today:

Please jump in and share your pictures of this cultivar.

-Alex

Comments (11)

• houzi
    11 years ago

My Beni Komachi looks a bit of a mess,needs tidying but is growing well this year...actually becoming a decent size considering it's on it's own roots.
    Oh just noticed some reversion
    {{gwi:1045080}}
    A couple of new babies
    {{gwi:1045082}}
    Fading spring colours
    {{gwi:1045084}}

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Hey Guys, I dont grow this one,but sure enjoy seeing your fotos! Thanks Alex and Houzi.Hope others join in!
    AL

• houzi
    11 years ago

..and we've enjoyed seeing your lovely large specimens Al :)

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Al, I'm glad you enjoyed the thread. I liked the threads you started here last spring too. It would be great to get more threads highlighting particular JM cultivars, for the enjoyment of all. :0)

Houzi, your plant looks great. I also seem to get some reversion on the rapidly growing shoots of 'Beni Komachi' every year, but they're easy enough to remove.

The offspring look great, so much vigorous new growth. Were these grafted this past winter?

Alex

• houzi
    11 years ago

Well apparently back in the day this was a very stable cultivar.It started showing reversions when people started growing on vigorous rootstock....but then that's probably true of many.This has reversions even on it's own roots but then again it is growing very well this year(all the rain!)
    Yes they were winter's grafts,they immediately put on good growth unlike some,now growing again.Looks like I'll have plenty of nice young scions for a change from the parent plant :-)

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Mine is 6-8 years old. It's probably 3' or a little more.
    It has struggled with full sun for awhile, but finally a 'Forest Pansy' Redbud has grown up enough to provide some afternoon shelter.

I love this beauty. It has such amazing red spring and new growth color. I wish I had more than a cell phone camera!

It's next to a beautiful Kurui jishi.

• houzi
    11 years ago

Nice one! Yes,seems everyone falls in love with this red belle once they've had it a while.
    Kurui jishi looks interesting.Only seen it very recently in a post somewhere,but can't find it now,could it have been yours?

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

No, not mine.
    It's been a couple of years since I've talked about my maples.

Due to some life's trauma, I'm only just beginning to return to my gardens to do anything other than water. Lots of work to be done. I'm appreciating those trees that .. what? Stuck with me? Last all I repotted & changed the soil mixture on about 10, which luckily all made it thru our extremely soft winter. Bad time of year, but again, they stuck with me!

I'll get a pic of my Kurui Jishi. The interesting thing is that the leaves are extremely similar to my 'Crispa' in the way they curl.

• houzi
    11 years ago

Cheers for that and welcome back,there's nothing like a bit of gardening to take mind off things for a while.
    I'm sure everyone looks forward to seeing your maples and hearing from you soon :)

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cool plant CE. I've heard that this cultivar appreciates a little shelter, in line with your experience. My plant, which is ~5 years old, is growing right beneath another JM, 'Nishiki Gawa'.

I second houzi, welcome back and look forward to seeing more.

-Alex

• dansgrdn
    11 years ago

Enjoying the photos of this cultivar. Here's mine to the left . Photo from last Spring.

{{gwi:891734}}

Dan

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996