Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So, if I were dumb enough to want to try J. Maples again???

Posted by denninmi 6A SE Michigan (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 16:00

What would be some of the better ones for Michigan?

My track record isn't good, I've tried 3 or 4 over the years, and always lost them eventually. Spring frost/freeze being one reason, although the one that lived longest and did the best, a Bloodgood, seemed to have a verticillium type branch by branch dieback (actual causal agent unknown).

I have a good "foresty" type place where I think a couple would have better than average prospects.

I certainly wouldn't plant out in the open, there are many severely messed up J.M. around here due to the late, hard freeze after foliage had emerged. They are really sad now, sparse with tremendous dieback.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So, if I were dumb enough to want to try J. Maples again???

Shirasawanums,Japonicums and Sieboldianums are reputably more hardy,might see something you like.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 17:30

And more specifically A. shirasawanums leafs out later.

I'm surprised you are having bad luck with them in your zone. Most 5b locations do well with them. My upper reach of zone 5a is going to be dicey once a real winter hits.

What is your soil like?

o

Whaas, I have every kind of soil found in the midwest EXCEPT for a true histosol. The area I'm thinking of trying a couple has a rich sandy loam and is under the edge of the canopy of a large shagbark hickory and a large Kentucky coffee. One of my Cornus kousa is planted in this area, and the side facing the canopy of the trees was the only dogwood I had this year with blossoms not damaged by the April freeze incident.

I didn't think of it until just now, but there won't be an allelopathy issue with the hickory, will there? I know they produce a bit of juglone, but I think its far, far less than their walnut cousins.

o

Denninmi, Not real sure for your environment, but i can say that acer palmatum 'Emperor 1' is a tough little tree that leafs out later than many and deserves merit.
Also i have a brother that has been growing a maple display area with about 20 cultivars under a real big walnut tree where the hulls are everywhere and the maples dont seem to be bothered at all. Now the voles......thats another story!
AL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here