Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texas_annie

Cloud Cover or similar to prevent leaf burn?

Texas_Annie
18 years ago

We are *finally* getting around to constructing our Japanese garden, and now I have to deal with where exactly my little Sango kaku will go. I have an almost perfect spot -- it is protected from winter winds (it is not cold here but gets QUITE windy in the winter); also protected from strong, hot summer winds, receives morning and early afternoon light. Here's the catch: most of the year it will be protected from hot afternoon light, but for about a month in the summer it will be exposed to strong afternoon light. (I know; that's exactly the wrong time of year for that, but I am limited in where exactly I can place my little tree.)

My question: Is there anything I can spray on the leaves to help it through that one month? It has had very nice color this year but now the leaf edges are getting that crispy look. I have been hearing about an anti-transpirant called Cloud Cover -- will it help protect from strong sun? Will anything else? I could put up shadecloth of some sort but it would really ruin the looks of the rest of the garden.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks!

Annie

Comments (5)

• Meiji
    18 years ago

I can't address your specific question but I can provide info that might be of interest to some.

I have two 'Sango kaku' on my property. The one that almost never gets sun has barely grown at all in three years. The one that almost never gets shade thrives and has exhibited NO leaf burn at all. I am probably just lucky, or maybe my soil is low in nitrogen or something.

Of course, note also that Annie is in Texas and I am in Massachusetts! That could have much to do with our different experiences with "Sango kaku" sun tolerance.

You are very wise to beware those dehydrating winter winds though. As we know, these suffer more "die-back" than most other cultivars.

Good luck on constructing what I am sure will be a lovely and charming garden, Annie. I will wait with you to read what our forum friends can tell us about the anti-transpirant you mentioned.

Best wishes.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Sango kaku' leaves

• Texas_Annie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the input! We are actually in Santa Rosa, Cal, though. (I am a proud native-born Texan, hence the screen name!) We have tons of rain in the winter but literally no rain at all in the summer, and cool nights. Bit of a desert climate.

• Layne_Uyeno
    18 years ago

Hi Annie,

Don't worry about too much afternoon sun and leaf burn, especially if you're planting in the ground. Sango kaku is fairly sun and heat tolerant. If you keep it watered properly and give it a year or two to adjust to it's new environment it will do well.

I live in Los Angeles (Hollywood). I moved from a place that faced north to a place that faces west. My container maples are now getting direct sun from about 12:30p to about 6:00p - 7:00p. They are doing better than I expected. A little leaf burn on the most delicate Shindeshojo, but not as much as I expected. I was going to put up shade cloth, but I'm finding that not necessary. I am finding that this extra light is better for them. Next year they should be acclimated to their new environment and exhibit less leaf burn. It's better to protect from desiccicating winds like you have.

Though I've never tried anti-transpirants I would avoid using it on a prized Sango kaku. You have to remember that transpiration is a natural and necessary part of plant biology. Plants need to transpire.

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/T/Transpiration.html

Layne

• acernut
    18 years ago

I have used Cloud Cover on young maples that I planted in the summer. Not certain, but it may have helped somewhat (none died ;-) ). Layne's prob right, transpiration is natural and necessary, but one may be forced to choose the least dangerous route when planting in the summer (in Texas).

Back to your Kaku...I planted mine (8' tall) in late spring in what was supposed to be a limited morning sun spot. One of the shade trees died this summer, exposing this newly planted JM to full afternoon Texas sun (including a hot, dry June). I have some leaf scorch on the West side of the tree, but I can attest to the fact that this tree can withstand far far more sun and heat than the refernces claim. (and FWIW, I did not use Cloud Cover on this tree)

• cecelia40
    15 years ago

I am looking for "Cloud Cover" spray for my hostas. I have used it before and it did work for me. No one in this area seems to know what it is. With the recent heat wave we are having in SE Oklahoma, my hosta plants are sun burned. I did move them to the north side of the house, but I prefer to have them where I can see them all the time. Can anyone tell me where I can find this product?