Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why are the leaves drying and going brown?

Posted by mssurrey Michigan (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 07 at 16:44

Hello,
I recently planted a sugar maple tree cultivar (2-3" dia) which was purchased from a nursery (about one month ago). For the last few weeks, the tree has been looking good. Now within a matter of three or four days, the majority of leaves have dried out (have become crispy) and gone brown (just as in fall but without the fall colors). The top leaves are still green but that's only at the very top.

As there is a lot of clay in our yard in some parts of our yard (although the soil seemed good around the tree when excavated), we planted the tree on 4 inches of pea gravel to ensure drainage in winter (as there is some standing water in some parts). Also the soil around the rootball was replaced with a topsoil and peat mix to balance the Ph.

It was then fertilised. Why are the leaves drying out and does this mean the tree is dying?
What can be done? I can email some digital pictures if needed.

Thankl you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why are the leaves drying and going brown?

I should add that the leaves are starting out a tan sort of color at the tips and then turning light brown.

The temps are in the 80's at this time and I was watering with a hose once a day for about 5 mins until recently when I turned the lawn sprinklers towards the tree for about 10 mins total during the day.

We also planted 2 red maples nearby (20 ft away) which seem to be OK at this time (although their leaves turned slightly reddish in the beginning but have remained the same since).

There is also mulch around the rootball but kept slightly away fom the trunk. Other than that, there is just grass around the tree although the part of the garden in which it is planted is near to wetlands on the back.

Is the problem because of too much or too little water, lack of nutrients, deisease etc?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here