Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missy_d1

color of Bloodgood JM changing

missy_d1
16 years ago

I've had a JM (i believe the type is bloodgood) in my front yard for a little more than a year. It is doing great except the color of the leaves is changing fron the deep red color to green. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Missy

Comments (15)

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

Many JM's sold for BG's are actually Atropurpureum's the tree BG's were developed from.( selected seedling I assume??).very similar but not as deep purple and doesn't hold it's color as well late into summer ...Both Atro's and BG's will "green out" in full sun ( and shade for that matter) in my experience at least here in IL starting here about mid July. By that I mean NOT totally turn green as I suppose yours hasn't.more a bronze color or greenish red the Atro being a lighter shade of such.. it should red up again by fall...unless it is totally green it is totally natural IMHO ...If totally green it is likely not either of those two trees but still likely natural and nothing to worry about. David

• ajwillys
    16 years ago

Hmm, I bought a BG this spring from what I thought was a reputable Japanese Maple Farm and it is now TOTALLY dark green. It's in a spot that gets sun from about 11am-5pm (hottest part of the day) in Raleigh, NC. We have very, long hot summers so I expected it to do a little worse the first year but it's been totally green for about a month now.

Do you think mine is a different kind of tree as well? I'm thinking of moving it to a more shady spot in the fall but am not convinced yet.

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

If you lived up here I would be suspicious but you are alot hotter than we are... I know Matt lives out your way he may have a better feel. I also know that a young first year in the ground tree does not always act like it will a few years fom now. All that being said I think Matt will need to know approx age and size of tree ...and I assume it is planted out and not in a pot?? ...finally do you have alot of leaf burn or just greening?? also a jpeg will help ( good luck with that on this site) your green may not be as green as I am thinking it is so providing a jpeg would help If you can't post it here send one to me at above email addy or to Matt. David

• mattlwfowler
    16 years ago

Yes a picture would really help to see just how much it has greened up. Try to get one that shows both the inner and outer leaves and with enough detail to show the leaf shape. The reds do generally green up a little by this time of year if in sun, but bloodgood is one of the few that generally retains some purple/bronze coloration.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

I'll have to agree with David that the likelihood yours is a "true" Bloodgood cultivar is in question. 'Bloodgood' was selected for its ability to retain that intense coloring throughout summer (even in sun) and its cold hardiness. Generally, the bronzing you see is only present in the most southern reaches of its range. And that is "bronzing", not a reversion to totally green. A tree that exhibits this tendency is unlikley to be true to cultivar. Unfortunately, a great many labeled 'Bloodgoods' are not and are seedling grown trees that may exhibit much variability in summer leaf color. Your only assurance is to obtain from very reputable growers - I'd be especially leery of sources like ebay and the big box stores or mass discounters.

• missy_d1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you to everyone who provided information. I was worried I was doing something wrong in terms of fertilizer or something, but it does not sound like it. My JM is on the east side of my house and gets good morning sun and shade in the afternoon. It is still very attractive as a green JM (it still has a little red color) and I will still enjoy it as such.

• schmoo
    16 years ago

"a great many labeled 'Bloodgoods' are not and are seedling grown trees"

Yes and no on that comment.....while they started as seedlings they are still a grafted plant(just clarifying the statement, you are correct in what you are trying to get across). At least in the PNW (Pacific North West), the form/cultivar "Bloodgood" has been around so long, you can/could visit 12 growers and find 6+ different forms(based solely on summer coloration).....its popularity has led to its downfall.
    Depending on your regional location, some growers for the box stores reley on "premier acer palmatum " grafting operations and offer "true to name plants".....sorry, just because it is a box store does not mean it will not be the true "cultivar".........

• mattlwfowler
    16 years ago

I think what gardengal was saying was that many nurseries are labeling red/purple SEEDLINGS 'bloodgood' that came from a bloodgood when no grafting or other form of asexual propagation took place. In fact, at one particular chain home and garden store that I will not name I have seen "dwarf bloodgood" seedlings being sold as well as red/purple seedlings labeled as bloodgood (clearly not grafted, and not even resembling a bloodgood in leaf shape, almost more like chitoseyama).

But yes there are also multiple forms being grafted that are not from the original bloodgood.

• ajwillys
    16 years ago

An update about my tree. I'm pretty sure now the 'reputable' Japanese Maple Farm I visited sold me a generic, seedling grown JM instead of the Bloodgood they said it was. I bought this tree before I really knew grafted vs. non-grafted but I was sure I remembered it being grafted. I just went out and checked and this is definitely a seedling grown tree. It's still not a bad looking tree but I am thinking of calling the farm anyway to complain.

Luckily, I was a little more knowledgeable when I bought my Fireglow. It's definitely grafted and still looks great in full sun after months of 90+ degree temperatures (100+ this week!!). A few outer leaves are starting to green a little but most of the tree is still a beautiful red and this is its first year in this spot!

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

Good to hear ... as long as you didn't pay top $$ for that seedling tree I guess thats ok but they should have been more forth coming ...but most folks don't know the differnce anyway so it's ? if they were a little dishonest or just selling "Japanese maples". if they told you that was a bloodgood ...then I would complain !!!!
    Good to hear on your fireglow .. it definitly takes heat and sun well but I'm a little surprised it did that well... adding to the suspicion that humidity, soil and wetness and other factors may adversly interact with the sun and heat to cause damage...since mine has a little and this summer has been a mild one compared to last year. I do think the fireglow is a slightly superior tree tto the Emperor 1 both in hardiness and beauty... the Fireglow lives up to it's "glowing reputation" david

• ajwillys
    16 years ago

Just an update on my Fireglow.... Since I was singing the praises so much last week, I figured I better check back and give a better impression.

After about 5 days of 100+ heat, my Fireglow has started to turn an orangeish-red color on about 50% and a few outer leaves are starting to show some very slight green. This is a VERY harsh location for a JM (6+ hours of full sun, windy, etc...) and I'm pleased to report that despite losing some color, it seems to be performing very well. To put it in perspective, I have roses right next to the tree that LOVE all the sun they get.

Despite knowing very little about JM's compared to several here, I'd definitely recommend Fireglow for some pretty tough, sunny locations. In fact, this tree looks unbelievable with the setting sun shining through it and much of its beauty would be lost if it was stuck in a shady spot.

• pikiviki_att_net
    16 years ago

Boy have I learned a lot by finding this forum. I too have gotten taken on what was supposed to be a "Bloodgood" JM, and it has also turned completely green. I thought it was because I have it on the North side of my house where it only gets dappled western sun for an hour or so in the afternoon, but now that I've read other posts, mine must not be a Bloodgood at all either. $150 it cost me, and I PURPOSELY bought a purple tree since most of my other shrubs and trees are plain green in the shade on the north side. It was supposed to stand out against all the green and now it's just as green as the rest. It's VERY healthy, the shape of the tree is absolutely beautiful and so are the leaves, but it makes me so mad that I didn't get what I paid for. Can't take it back now since I bought in last summer -- when it WAS purple -- and this summer is the first whole season I've had it and that's when it turned green. Anyway, I'm glad I'm not doing anything wrong either and that it's fine in the shade. What can be done about these nurseries who sell plants that aren't what they state they are? I still have the pot it came in with the words "Bloodgood" written on it in big white letters (although it has a Persimmon tree in it right now that I'm transplanting). I feel like there isn't anything that can be done. $150 is a lot of money to me and while the tree IS beautiful, it isn't purple/red like it is supposed to be.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

Not all growers of Japanese maples are equally reputable nor conscientious about their propagation techniques. There are a great many "Bloodgoods" (double quotation marks are intentional) out there that ARE seedling grown as opposed to grafted and they are very likely more true to their atropurpureum bloodlines than they are to the 'Bloodgood' characteristics. This tree is so popular and so widely propagated and grown, it is not suprising to find some dilution of the form through less than sterling propation practices and from unverifiable provenance, even with grafted forms. While this does result in some color variations, if it turns green in summer, it is NOT a 'Bloodgood'.

Unfortunately, there really isn't much one can do about it other than to patronize those growers that maintain standards and have a great reputation in the industry. While I understand that some areas of the country have the luxury of a plentiful supply of Japanese maples readily at hand and others must resort to purchasing from a distance, it helps a lot if one can select a tree in person whenever possible. That way one can insure the form and development is up to par, the graft sound and the cultivar true to name, specially if bought in leaf for a specific effect or color.

• elaine1960
    16 years ago

I also have what I thought was a bloodgood JM which changes color every summer to yellow green and the edge of the leaves always seem to curl, dry, brown. I received this tree from my Aunt who had the unwanted sprig growing next to her pool in the center of her yard with heavy wooded trees surrounding it. Her bloodgoods were always burgandy in color all season. I just planted this twig in the North West corner of my yard and it has grown significantly, but I am always concerned over the leave changes in the summer. I have had it 7 years and I have never seen any seeds produced on it. What started as a 2-3 foot twig is now approxiamately 7-8 foot tall. Any suggestions of what to do for help or sites to explore more for identification?

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

If she in fact has an actual Bloodgood ( possible but not possitivly so I personally think these days it's at BEST a 50/50 proposition) yours is NOT it is a seedling of no definite pedegree a Red acer palmatum seedling... if you haven't followed this thread you may not know seed grown trees may or may not look like their mother tree and cannot be named the same cultivar or in fact sold or otherwise specified as such ethically ...David

Sponsored
Macanson Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Cabinetry & Flooring Company in Ashburn – Since 2013!