gardener365
14 years ago

Bethlehem Nursery plant:

Acer palmatum 'Ukigumo'

photos from Dendo

Comments (11)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

That's not what this one is. This is instead a brocade type like 'Oridono-nishiki'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Pictures

• davidv
    14 years ago

Looks like Ukigumo to me

Dave

• dendo
    14 years ago

I raised this tree from a puppy and I know what it is .

D

• dendo
    14 years ago

I hope we dont have to commission a maple Czar .

D

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Did anyone look at my link? The stippled variegation pattern is why it is called 'Ukigumo' (Floating Clouds in English). Nurseries do sometimes sell mislabeled stock, it does not matter if a plant received under the wrong name is big or small when you got it - it's still mislabeled.

Encountering other mislabeled specimens elsewhere does not establish that yours is the true item. Naming of suspect plants is checked by reading descriptions, looking at pictures and comparing yours with numerous other living examples.

A friend read an article once that estimated the amount of plants being traded in the US under the wrong names as about a third!

• deep___roots
    14 years ago

Not trying to stir it up, but I have "orido-nishiki" that looks like the picture. The red stems are the indicator.
    I also have "ukigomo" that is as tall as the tree in the picture but not as full, and the leaf color is more chartreuse in addition to the pinkish-whitish colors and there are no dark green leaves, but that could just be due to the light it receives.
    Like I say, these are just my observations...not trying to make anybody unhappy or pretend I'm an expert.
    Maybe my trees are mislabeled!
    Yep, I once got a full moon maple at Orchard Supply Hardware (CA big box store) that was labeled as a regular JM. I knew what is was from the leaves and I snapped it up at a very very nice price. Shhhh.
    The tree in the picture is lovely.

• davidv
    14 years ago

Well dendo maybe next time you should try getting it right.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

It's beautiful, whatever it is.
    Thanks to Dax and Dendo!

Josh

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

I must say I don't see the degree of stipling common to 'Ukigumo' either -- the patterning looks more 'blocked' (for lack of a better word), similar to the variegation pattern of an 'Orido Nishiki'.

But....it is a bit of a distance shot and maybe a close-up would reveal what my aging eyes don't see :-) Whatever, it IS a very handsome tree.

• dendo
    14 years ago

Hi Dave ,
    I will try in my next 75 years to get it right .( Maybe they gave me too much anesthesia last January ) .
    I looked up my bill from Extrom in Oregon and they were listed as Ukigumo . I also have looked at several websites and now I have my doubts also . The strange thing about this tree the inside leaves ARE dappled .
    I will try to get down with John OB this summer .

Best
    D

• davidv
    14 years ago

I will be here.

Dave

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz