Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milton88_gw

Celebration Maple planting on property line

milton88
12 years ago

Just curious, will be planting a 3 inch caliper Celebration Maple Tree as a screen from our neighbors. We would like to put it as close to the property line as possible as we have several Techny Arbs planted in line in the area. I am trying to keep the maple atleast 12 ft from the Arbs and currently have the maple 12 ft from the last arb and 12 feet away from the property line. Is this too far from the property line? i guess I wanted to keep it as close as possible but do not want the neighbor to be able to destroy the tree by trimming too much of the crown. Just so you know in the neighborhood property setbacks are 15 feet, the neigbors put an addition on that i am attempting to block out. The addition is 15 -20 feet from the line. What is the closest distance to the property line I could get away with for a tree that grows 25 -30 ft wide? I dont mind if they prune or trim whatever goes over there property line as long as it does not hurt the tree. At this point I have a stake ready to plant the tree 12 feet away. What do you think? Thanks-Steve

Comments (7)

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

I'd say my 6" caliper Celebration Maples were about 10' wide. So I'd say that 25-30' crown estimate is a 30 year width. The grow about 18" in height a year though.

There may be rules for your municipality but generally speaking I plant trees that width about 7' off the lotline. 3' for mowing and 4' for mulch. I also consider the placement. Is it just grassy area that the neighbor doesn't utilize or an area where kids are active playing football? The latter may prompt me to go further off the lotline. If the former I think you can go 7' off the lotline. Depending on your Arb you might need more than 12' from centerline of each plant.

• mehearty
    12 years ago

Celebration grows fast, but it grows tall, not plump. I planted a 12' one right next to the property line 8 years ago (asked the owners if it was OK). It grows like mad, but is just finally started to grow outward just a little. The trunk is still pretty skinny. I'm not impressed by this tree to be honest. The fall color is yellow, and it's sometimes a water diva (one year it dropped all its leaves when we didn't get enough rain). It really doesn't block or shade much.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Sheet on web site of introducer shows a tree that will reach way over onto your neighbor's side in time.

Note that commercial sources routinely understate growth potential of large shade tree selections. Parents of cross have both been known to produce specimens well more than 60' tall in multiple locations. In fact, 179' tall by 120' wide was claimed for a red maple in MI during 1984, with a 125' by 134' silver maple reported from the same state in 1979. Even if these individuals were over-assessed by some yards or more you are still talking about BIG trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: CELEBRATION®

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Celebration gets 20-25' wide, not sure how it would reach way over in the neighbors property if its planted 12' off the lot line?

milton, if you didn't buy or plant these trees yet my thoughts are inline with mehearty. The fall color is subpar. I had two of them and just didn't like them.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Cultivar clearly is not atypically upright- and narrow-growing despite being so described. See photos at my link to the introducer's "sell sheet" (above), where multiple individuals with nearly level lower branching and broad crown shapes are shown, and the pictures in the Images portion of the document linked to below.

Here is a link that might be useful: United States Patent: PP07279

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Does it matter what the photos "appear" to show? Read the text about the size of the parent.

I had two that were 10 years old with 6" caliper trunk. They were 10' wide before I sold the house. The first 5 years is where you see the strongest growth. They were very upright with many of the main scaffold branches aschending at 30 degrees.

I'm going to go with my actual growing experience.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

I take that back, they were about 45 degrees.

{{gwi:430958}}

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio