Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with chance maple seedlings?

Posted by lisaonbainbridge (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 20:11

I have noticed that I have seedlings that have come up from probably acer japanicum and acer palmatifolium. I would like to see if any of them are interesting, but am not sure how to handle the seedlings.

Should I leave them where they are and give them some water? Should I dig them up and pot them?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with chance maple seedlings?

I pot them up and see what they do. Consider them free Japanese maples.
You can water them where they're at this summer and then put them in pots in late winter or early spring. Then grow them up to see what they do as far as fall color, growth rate, new growth color, seed color, etc.
Mike

o

Here's a few that survived the culling process.
Mike

o

Thank you, Mike. If anything miraculous should happen, you will be the first to know.

o

Depends on how many trees you want/need?

o

With seedling grown maples you want as many as possible so you can choose the best. Many have nothing special to offer. I like them all, but I'm getting pretty picky in my old age.
Mike

o

Friend pots them up and sells at her yard sale. Only asks a couple of dollars, but sells them all by end of sale.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here