Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie4_gw

What type of Japanese Maple in colder region?

carrie4
14 years ago

I live in Southeast Idaho and am a zone 4. I love the Japanese Maples. Does anyone have these in a cooler region and are successful with them? What variety would you suggest. I have heard that a 'Korean Japanese Maple' is a zone 4. It is a green leaf. Anyone have that variety or another that would do well?

Comments (7)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Most cultivars of Acer palmatum - what most folks consider a Japanese maple - will be a bit iffy in zone 4. There are some posters here in colder zones that have had success with specific cultivars and I'm sure they'll chime in with their experience. But there are several other species of Asian maples that will offer a quite similar appeal but are more cold tolerant than A. palmatum. The Korean maple, Acer pseudosieboldianum, is just one, but Acer shirasawanum and A. japonicum are also considered more cold hardy than A. palmatum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maples for cold climates

• kaitain4
    14 years ago

Gardengal is right. Of the palmatums, only Acer pseudosieboldianum is Zone 4 hardy.

Have you considered growing JMs in pots? You could plant dwarf varieties and then over-winter them in a garage or protected space. I know several collectors who do this with success in colder climates.

Regards,

K4

• garcanad
    14 years ago

I experimented with a few JMs at my zone 4 cottage; one Bloodgood, and a couple of green leaf root stocks. They were planted more than 6 years ago in exposed and very dry and very sandy locations amogn the weeds, and were neglected without any manual watering etc. They survive but they remain at less than 3 ft tall. I suspect if I give them a more protected location and water them a bit in dry season. They may do much better. Here is how the Bloodgood looks like now:
    {{gwi:1045598}}

• carrie4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! I know the bloodgood will not make it here, but I am going to track down and see what the Korean Maple looks like. I'm not crazy about just the 'green' color. Anybody have any ideas about a delicate or interesting color smaller tree?

• picea
    14 years ago

Fagus sylvatica( European Beech) is listed as zone 4. There are 2 or 3 purple cultivars that might interest you. Purpurea Nana, Ansorgi and purple pendula. Coenosium Gardens website has nice pictures of these cultivars. I have all 3 and the one most similar to an upright red japanese maple would be Purpurea Nana. It is slow growing with dark purple leaves.

• basic
    14 years ago

Carrie,

The most cold hardy A. palmatum is likely Robinson's Red, which can be purchased from Girard Nursery. I was hoping Mike/Greenthumb from Minneapolis might chime in, but not sure he visits here anymore. Anyhow, he's been growing this one for several years, and it has done quite well for him. He recently posted a pic on another forum and it looked to be 10'-12' tall, with no significant winter dieback. Last winter was brutal, but it made it through just fine with no protection. The other one that seems to put up a fight against our winters is A. palmatum 'Emperor I'. Buy one of each and let us know how they compete.

Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: A. palmatum 'Robinson Red'

• kbecker95_wi_rr_com
    12 years ago

the bloodgood maple dos not grow in east troy wisconsin zone 5a

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County