Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tjm02

Red maple question

tjm02
15 years ago

We have a 15+ year old red maple that receives regular watering from inground sprinking system and regular fertilization. This year we noted that the amount of seedlings produced this late spring were significantly more abundant this year and have caused quite a mess in all of our garden beds and any spot there is room for seedlings to sprout. The leaves on the tree never seemed to fully develop and the leaves are thin on the branches. Now (about mid July) some of the leaves are already turning red near the top of the tree.

Is there a connection between the increased seed production and the thin, underdeveloped leaves this year? Should I be concerned about the leaves turning red? Is this a cycle that the tree goes through periodically? Will I get my shade back next year? Any help or insight would be great. Thank you.

Comments (5)

• stompede
    15 years ago

In a lot of plants, notably holly around here, heavy seed or berry production can put a noticeable nutrient drain on the plant. Not saying that is your problem. You will want to get a soil analysis to determine if a deficiency is the case. It's better than simply applying fertilizer. You can't rule out other problems too such as root problems (girdling root, rot, etc.), disease, insect, cultural, environmental, etc.

• dongenesis
    15 years ago

I live in a zone 10 (Florida).I know I can Grow a red japanese maple here! BUT! How can I make sure my maple goes into DORMANT mode!lol. Here it begins to get hot around November and it doesnt last to long! If anyone can give me a hand with this question it will be appreciet it!Im new with maples so I need as much help as possible! thanks!

• gardener365
    15 years ago

Could be stress-related from drought. Probably last year being the time of the drought and the tree not having much of a chance to gather enough energy for this year. Seed production is usually a sign that the tree thinks it had better use its' energy to reproduce as a sign of panic. ...another sign of drought-related-stress is premature fall color and leaf drop.

If that's not it, I don't know why.

Dax

• gardener365
    15 years ago

dongenesis: the answer to your question if to find trees that have province to your area. One example is Red Maple being from the south versus the Northern Red Maples, up here in Illinois as one example. You'll need to select correct province trees for success.

It's all easily explained as 'comparing climate' whether the seed or tree comes from another place on the earth, that place will need to have similar cultural and weather conditions again, for your success. In other words, let's hypothetically say you want to grow red maple from seed and are purchasing from a seed bank; You'll select a southern province/origin as to bring about success. This rule is applied nearly always.

Dax

• dongenesis
    15 years ago

Gardener365! So is better for me to get seed and grow them better then to get a already grown JM that more then like is coming from up north right? Im brand new at this so is kind of hard to explain my self! Thanks for ur help!