Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing a red maple inside house?

Posted by Nick.S none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 21:53

Hello, I'm planning to raise a red maple tree for beekeeping in the future. Since I'm planning on planting when it's a seed opposed to buying a sapling I was wondering if I'd be able to grow it inside my house in a container of sorts. The reason why I want to keep it inside is to protect it while it's vulnerable and give it a head start and then put it in a larger container when it gets a bit bigger. Has anyone done this before? Would I need to use some kind of growth light while it's inside? What kind of soil would I need? What other things would I need? Would moving it outside after keeping it outside for a while be a bad thing?

Also, how fast is the growth rate for red maples? Will I be able to keep it inside for long?

I'm also planning on doing this with a Black Locust tree, so any comments appreciated!

Thanks and sorry for the amount of questions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing a red maple inside house?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 13:38

Cold climate trees need outdoor seasons to function.

o
RE: Growing a red maple inside house?

Agreed, your red maple will be much happier outside. It needs all that natural light, humidity, and yes, cold. Most maples that are deprived of their dormant period will die within a year or two.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here