Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acer x Freemanii losing bark in vertical swaths, white fungus

Posted by rebuscannebus 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 11, 10 at 22:05

Hello.

I don't know if there's any hope for my ~10 year old Acer x Freemanii. Last winter, apropos of nothing it seems, a 5 ft high by 6 inch wide swath of bark separated from the tree and fell off. White shroomy-type fungus has started to grow there. On the opposite side of the tree, a second set of vertical cracks has appeared. Whether this too will lead to bark loss remains to be seen. You can see photos at http://picasaweb.google.com/114904993565114771258/SickMaple?feat=directlink

So far this summer, the growth has been more vigorous than ever, and the foliage looks very healthy, but I suspect this may be some last hurrah before the thing croaks.

Any adivce/thoughts? THanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acer x Freemanii losing bark in vertical swaths, white fungus

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 11, 10 at 23:53

The bark that fell off was covering an old wound and just now "let go." In other words, the tree was damaged a number of years ago.

The white mushrooms are growing in the dead wood that was behind the dead bark.

As for "more vigorous than ever," I don't see many leaves at all.

If the tree were mine, I'd start over with a healthy tree which I'd plant this fall.

o
RE: Acer x Freemanii losing bark in vertical swaths, white fungus

Just to be clear, the reason you aren't seeing in leaves in the photo album is b/c it was winter when I snapped the photos. I have since added two more to http://picasaweb.google.com/114904993565114771258/SickMaple?feat=directlink to illustrate its current state. The asymmetrical crown may make the foliage appear a little sparse, but be assured that's not the case. And as I mentioned, growth has been vigorous this season. Do you still advise to cut my losses (so to speak) and start over? THanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here