Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Could a red maple and a sugar maple be grown in a warm climate?

Posted by windel 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 22:31

Hi, I live in Guadalajara, Mexico, and the hardiness zone map officially states that my zone is 10a but I think it´s really 9b.

We have cool but usually sunny winters (mornings can be cold: sometimes 0°C (32°F) but usually between 2-3°C (37°F) to 7-9°C (47°F); daytime highs vary a lot: between 14°C (57F) to 19-20°C (70F)), sometimes with very cool rainy days. We sometimes have frosts but they occur like 3-5 times a year. The lowest it can get is around -4 (28°F) but it´s very rare.
Summers are very rainy (we have a lot of thunderstorms) and warm but not hot (May is very hot and dry though, with temperatures around 32°C (90°F), sometimes higher).

If you want to think of a similar climate, think of Los Angeles (they have their rainy season in winter, not summer like me though).

In my neighborhood, there are many sweet gums (but the majority are evergreen) and deciduous ash trees and I once saw a silver maple growing very well.

I think I could grow them but what do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Could a red maple and a sugar maple be grown in a warm climat

It looks like some varieties of red maple might work well. There appear to be varieties that are perfectly happy in florida, which have no chill requirements to break dormancy. Sugar maples, however probably wouldn't do particularly well. One article I found states that they require 2500 continuous hours of chill (below 41f) to break dormancy. Without that chill, they'd probably do well enough for a couple years, but eventually would either go dormant and not come out of it, or they'd just die from the stress of not being able to rest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Top of page 3 references the lack of chill requirement for floridian acer rubrum

o

another option, similar to sugar maple, would be florida maple, Acer floridanum, also called the southern sugar maple. obviously, it isn't identical to it's northern cousin, but it would probably be happier in your warmer climate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acer floridanum

o

There is Mexican Sugar Maple aka Acer skuchii.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mexican Sugar Maple

o

Thank you for your very interesting responses and links. I already knew of the florida sugar maple and I thought it a very good option to plant here but I think they would be very difficult to find here in Mexico. I'll try to find them though. Oh and lou_midlothian_tx I actually live near one of the few places were acer skutchii grows (I'll be going next september).

Another thing that concerns me is that if they do survive, they might have poor fall color. Do you know any varieties of the red maple that will color well in a [very] warm climate?

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here