Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mylespickett

Up to date JM suppliers worth trying out...

mylespickett
11 years ago

I know this has been discussed on the forum some time ago, but there are a lot of new growers and nurseries, as well as new online suppliers (which is what I'm most often purchasing from) that people might not have heard about. Also many companies go out of business for various reasons all the time, or they change management, which can overhaul a nursery and turn it into a paradise or a desert. So if anybody wants to chime in on some newer experiences with all of you're purchases or service you received, it would be graciously appreciated. I will start by naming a few places with some insight.

japanesemaplesandevergreens.com - I've gotten a lot of good deals here, some new grafts (I'd say a 6-7 out of 10 on graft and scion quality, hard to beat $13 per 1yr graft on 2 yr rootstock) I've gotten a 4 yr old kiyohime for about $17!

maplestoneornamentals.com - huge selection of I think just 1 yr grafts for $15 I believe. I received 3 trees, one of which still survives... Who knew geishas were so heat tolerant!

In town nursery

River valley horticultural- 22 greenhouses and 1/3 are full of 3-15 gallon acers. They have a sale on all summer all 3 gallons for 30$ !!! Needless to say I splurged :)

Most of the other places around here sell her typical Arkansas selection: tamukeyama, crimson queen, the blood good and emperor varieties (which are so plentifull they look like a natural part of the scenery now, Sango kaku, butterfly is pretty much yer only variegated down here besides "roseo marginatum", which I think is a kagiri or Kara ori nishiki with another name because a lot of down home Arkansans would be stumped on those names ;) jk.

And most places here naturally never prepare for our inevitable endless summer heat and sun... So by mid June most nurserys start lookin a little sad.

Any one wanna chime in on some local or mail order suppliers with a good rep, preferably with some first hand experience?

Comments (6)

• nemesic
    11 years ago

Great info, thank mylespickett. And great price in japanesemaplesandevergreens.com. Do you have any idea where to find the fresh seeds. Looks like nurseries dont interesting in seeds too much :(. I want to buy some but don't know where. Ebay dont have many types.

• mylespickett
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If you are looking for a specific cultivar, seeds from said plant won't be the same as the parent... My suggestion would be collecting seeds from Japanese maples in your area. This way you know they haven't dried out and they're free! Specific cultivars are found in the wild or grown from "chance seedlings". If you get seeds from say, a Kara Ori Nishiki, they will likely grow into an acer palmatum green JM. These are used for rootstock, but out of a hundred seedlings there is bound to be a handful of unique and interesting trees, although they will just be the species plant; not a particular cultivar, even if it is identical to one youve seen. Sooner plant farm in Oklahoma sells seedlings in bulk 10-$40, 50-$100, 100-$190. These are typically two years old and I think, well worth the price. They ship as well.

• abciximab
    11 years ago

I've purchased Acer palmatums from all over the place. Our local River Valley Nursery has little variety...twenty greenhouses with maybe ten varieties and a few of them are mislabeled. They're not for the collector or connoisseur. A few of their staff members are very rude also. Another place that can occasionally have some great Acer palmatum cultivars is Garden of Eden in Hot Springs. Nurseries are ordering for spring shipments and might can add to a fall shipment. They might add specific cultivars if requested?
    Online ordering is hit or miss. I've had friends ordering from coniferkingdom.com with great results. As for Ebay...I've ordered some small maples from a seller acer1987, Ebay store acer198797, and was very pleased with the quality of the small trees. They have 100% positive feedback on 6000+ transactions. Their selection is usually grand...a lot better in spring/early summer.

I suppose you're in the central Arkansas area? Do you have a collection?

Patrick

• mylespickett
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Patrick, I live in Little Rock... By the Arkansas deaf and blind school. As for you're question in regards to me being a collector, in the last year I have gone on a frenzy and have selected about 30 cultivars that I own. Most of which are only a few years old. But I look forward to having them become a larger portion of my life. I've always wanted to stop by garden of Eden in hot springs, but I'm never out that way when they Are open. I understand what you mean concerning river valley, they have a lot of trees but they don't seem to grasp the concept of proper maintenance for the Japanese maples. And most of the trees are just seedlings, but that hasn't stopped me from purchasing a few good looking trees from them ( 2 inane shidare, a nice dwarf seedling and a orange flame that was about 7 ft tall for $30 each). What part of Arkansas do you reside in Patrick?

• abciximab
    11 years ago

I think the cultivar River Valley sells labeled 'Orange Flame' is an already existing Acer palmatum cultivar that has been renamed by the grower. I think it's the same grower pushing 'Burgundy Flame'. Both cultivars are not listed in any maple references and have the same color and growth habits of other named cultivars. I'll have to look back in my notes. I had this discussion with friends some time ago and can't remember the correct cultivar names for those mislabeled maples they are selling.

Watch out for those "good deals" online especially Ebay. Some of that stuff is poor quality and sometimes mislabeled. As with anything, you get what you pay for. Another Ebay seller that some friends and I have used in the past with good results is ebay store My Icon Japanese Maple and Conifer. The seller is bonzaibob with 100% positive feedback on >2400 transactions. He has a website also, www.iconicgardens.com

I live in Saline county about 20 min from Little Rock. I have >100 different Acer palmatum cultivars. A lot are well maintained in containers. I also have a small pinetum with a lot planted there. I remember when I first started out collecting. I used to buy a lot of small 1-2 yr grafts. It's fun to watch them grow. Now I buy larger stock and graft a few here and there.

Happy hunting and collecting!

• mylespickett
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hahaha, it's funny you should say that about the "orange flame," right when I got home I pulled out Vertrees' 4th edition book and found no record, online too... Still no luck. As a matter of fact, right after I submitted my post I was thinking "hmm I think I was had on that one" and maybe showing a little of my ignorance. :)
    Yes, it's really greAt watching the little babies put on a shoot here, a shoot there... But I'd say out of 30 cultivars and 10 seedlings, I have lost 2, had 3-4 almost completely defoliate, and I've seen enough leaf scorch for a lifetime (mostly from over-watering I believe; mixed with this horrible heat). Saying that, I'm going the same route as far as purchasing larger, more hardened trees from here on out. I wasn't thinking very logically, buying 1 yr old brand new grafts from the west coast with a 20 degree temp change shipping down here. I've been looking into a nursery that ships on the west coast, "Essence of the Tree". They seem a lil expensive, but from what I've read and the quality I've seen (pictures only), they must be doing something right. Beautiful trees! Also Whitman Farms looks pretty promising. Thanks for the words of encouragement, I'm hooked and have made a routine of just relaxing out back with my trees when I get off work for a good hour or so, if I don't have errands or cleaning duties ;)
    I'd like to hear if you find out any info in you're notes on the alleged "orange flame". It's a wonderfully tolerant tree... I just can't wait till repotting time.
    Thanks again Patrick.

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor