Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Autumn Blaze maple not growing...

Posted by SVTterminator 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 23:11

In zone 5 Chicago area. Paid over $300 to have this planted last year. It's planted in heavy clay and rocky soil. The leaves are turning brown and somewhat red. I bought this as the nursery said it was a fast grower. Is it dying? Anything I can do to help it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Autumn Blaze maple not growing...

Here's another picture. Any guidance would be appreciated.

o

Sorry for the delay.

It looks rough. My guess is the rough winter had the soil frozen and orevented moisture from getting to the roots. If there is a warranty think about collecting on it.

Not that I think we can do much for the tree, but if you can post a pic of where the trunk meets the dirt I would he interested.

o

thanks for the reply. Unfortunately since I had my landscaper plant this tree there is no warranty.

If there is anything I can do to save it please let me know. Pictures below.

o

Pic of base

o

Pic 2

o

Looks like it was planted a bit deep....don't see the root flare...but since it is newly planted, be patient.....the tree is trying to get established.....takes a number of seasons for the feeder roots to grow......just keep it watered .....

o

Thanks! Should I dig up the base to expose the root flare?

o

I think they planted this tree too deeply. Here is a pic of how deep I had to dig to find the root flare. They also have weed prevention fabric. Should I remove all the soil?

o

Another picture. Sorry for all the questions. Hope to save this tree.

o

Anyone?

o

Hi,
It does look like it was planted a little too deep but now that I see you've uncovered the root flare, it might be okay.
I would contact the landscaper and try and get my money back though, seems to me the landscaper should know better than to plant a tree like that. Looks like they didn't amend the soil at all either.

o

Thanks sunnyside3. I'm learning so much as I go. I'm going to matters into my own hand. I don't trust that awful landscaper. I'll clear off the mud. Should I apply a tad bit of fertilizer?

o

I wouldn't fertilize it. It's never a good idea to fertilize a stressed tree. Keep the root flare exposed and give it deep waterings once the soil is almost dry.

o

Thanks Elecktron!

o

The tree should be dug up this fall after it goes dormant and planted correctly with the root flare slightly above grade!

o

Below is a link to another Autumn Blaze thread that might be of interest

Here is a link that might be useful: another recent Autumn Blaze thread

o

Thanks tenacre that link provided me with hope.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here