Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone grown Acer floridanum (aka barbatum) in zone 6/7?

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z6b/7a MD (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 23:11

I'm curious about this. Standard acer saccharums usually do well here, if given "room to move", i.e., NOT as a street tree, and not in soil that is too dry (south slope) or too heavy or wet all the time. As far as summer heat, they seem to do OK, again, if not near pavement & in a good, relatively well-drained location. However, as street trees, they struggle.

I'm wondering if the more southerly Southern Sugar Maple (or Florida Maple, if you prefer), Acer floridanum (or barbatum...so many names), with it's better tolerance of long, hot summers, would survive, and be worth trying, in the Mid-Atlantic. We're basically zone 7a, right at the edge of 6b...we've hit zero degrees exactly once in the 6 years I've lived here.

My main thought is that it would have an edge in places like parking lots where soils are hotter, drier, and more alkaline than they "normally" are here.

I've seen A. floridanum rated to zone 7, but some places say 6 or 6b.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone grown Acer floridanum (aka barbatum) in zone 6/7?

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 20:14

I can't comment on your zone, but I think your acidic soils would not be a problem. We have Acer barbatum here in MS, in natural stands in the Tombigbee National Forest, and it grows in our acidic soils. Perhaps you could find some growing at the northern end of its range, and those populations may be more cold hardy. It's a lovely tree, one I was seeking for quite awhile.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here