Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milklover_gw

need help with Aka shigitatsu sawa

milklover
16 years ago

I bought a 3 years old Aka shigitatsu sawa two months ago, and I repotted it in a 14 inches by 14 inches pot. It was doing fine , until the weather got hotter and dry.

1/3 of the leaves turned brown and curling.I used organic potting soil and mix with sand, so that it have a pretty good drainage. Also it got the morning sun and some direct afternoon sun, but I think the leaves got damaged by the sun, so I moved it to the shade area after 11:00 am.

What did I do wrong? and is my MJ dying? Will all the leaves come back one day ?

Comments (3)

• mattlwfowler
    16 years ago

Aka shigitatsu sawa is a bit tender and considering that you are in zone 9 it is really no suprise that it got sun burn. I have found that in the south particularly these trees really need to be sited in filtered shade for a majority of the day. Aka shigitatsu sawa has held up a bit better than kasagiyama for me, but both are under slightly larger JMs that give filtered sun most of the day and deep shade after about 3 pm. The trouble is finding the spot that gives enough sunlight to bring out some of the red/pink coloration without the sunburn. It may take you a couple of years to figure that out, if it is possible in your area.

I assume it was getting watering every day or at least every other day. In this summer heat potted trees need daily watering IMO, while in winter only once a week or less. Of course, now that it is in shade you will need to water a little less than if it were in more sun. You will need to check the soil and once the top couple of inches become dry it will need watering again.

The leaves should pop back out this summer, however if damage was severe enough it may not make it. At this point you just have to cross your fingers and pray for the best.

• milklover
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi mattlwfowler

Thank you so much !! I think not only it got sun burn, I also under water it as well. So I will do like you said. Also when should I give it some plant food?

Thank you very much
    Milklover

• mattlwfowler
    16 years ago

Put a light helping of slow release fertilizer in the spring around the time it leafs out (preferably lower numbers than 20-5-9 with some micronutrients). You don't want to overfertilize any JM as it ruins the limb structure due to leggy growth, and in extreme cases it can burn them up. However, if kept potted up they will need a little food in the spring. Aka shigitatsu sawa is even more picky since you need less fertilizer in order to get that great reticulation that is so desired; overfertilizing will likely cause it to fade. You may also put a little fertilizer in fall too, but it should be even less than in sping and it should contain very little or no nitrogen (something like 0-10-10).

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks