Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beeonegw

Please identify this maple.

Beeone
15 years ago

I have a maple which I received as a 2 foot seedling from a relative who lived in the Chicago area. He said that they grow like weeds back there and that was the main maple. I'm not so sure it is a sugar maple, the leaf looks more like pictures I've seen of a Norway maple, but it does not have a milky sap.

The branches put out leaves directly opposite on the branches, also. Being young, there is no bark definition, just a light brown to reddish brown, smooth bark. The back of the leaf looks just like the back of a leaf, nothing different back there--no different color, hair, etc.

Can anyone confirm just what type of maple this is? I'm told maples don't grow in Wyo, but you do see them and this little tree is now about 10-12 feet tall, and I like to play with things that "won't grow here" because often they do.

Click the link to see a scan of a leaf. The leaf is approximately 5" wide.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (7)

• kaitain4
    15 years ago

Looks like a Norway Maple.

Be aware many consider this an invasive species and a 'weed tree'. It is also not noted for having pretty fall colors.

• prostrata
    15 years ago

I don't think that Norway Maple is terribly invasive in Wyoming...

• Beeone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. I was afraid it might be a Norway. Should it have a milky sap though? I really haven't broken much off, but I'll try a few more leaves if it should be milky just to check.

Really doubt it will become invasive here. First, it is the only maple within a mile and a half, and the next maple after that is probably 20 miles away, so pollination could be a challenge. After all "they don't grow in Wyoming". We do have native Boxelders, but they don't seem to grow above 4,000 to 4,200 feet and I am at 4450. Not much difference, but they just don't seem to grow naturally. Transplanted, they grow fine, however, and I really like them (have a huge one in the backyard that screens most of the house from the afternoon sun in the summer).

This maple in question tends to freeze down in the fall before turning any color, although last year it did turn generally a dull yellow. I would prefer to find a hardy type that would get more orange or red, though, since trees in this country only get yellow. At least if it survives, it will provide some shade to the corrals and sorting chute. I have it planted just outside the south side of the corral in the pasture and keep it fenced as the sheep do enjoy the leaves. I've also noticed that spring growth survives the winter just fine, but if it puts out a growth spurt in July or Aug, those branches generally winter kill.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Acer platanoides. Maybe in your area A. saccharum grandidentatum would be successful.

• dongenesis
    15 years ago

I live in a zone 10 (Florida).I know I can Grow a red japanese maple here! BUT! How can I make sure my maple goes into DORMANT mode!lol. Here it begins to get hot around November and it doesnt last to long! If anyone can give me a hand with this question it will be appreciet it!Im new with maples so I need as much help as possible! thanks!

• Beeone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, bboy. I'll have to look into the Big Tooth Maple/Canyon Maple. I hadn't noticed them before. They might do well if I can keep them wet enough. I had seen the Vine Maples in western Montana into Idaho, but I think our climate is too harsh for them. Also see the Rocky Mountain Maples which grow native in the southern part of the state. Both seem to be more bush sized than trees and I'm looking for something that will make a decent sized tree.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

All three of those species (AA. circinatum, saccharum grandidentatum and glabrum) grow rather large under good conditions. Although one of the common names for A. glabrum is dwarf maple, and it is often low-forking during 1995 Robert Van Pelt and I measured an A. glabrum douglasii on Guemes Island, near Bellingham, WA (USDA 8) that had a trunk 8' 11" around (below the forking of the main branches) and an average crown spread of 55'. Another specimen on the same site was 77' tall.