Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help Japanese maple

Posted by sam89 Z10SF (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 1:18

I bought this beautiful Kara ori nishlkl maple in a gallon container for two months. Now some of the leaves are curl up.
Does any one knows what's wrong with it. Am I over-water it ?
I fed some fish emulsion to the plant before I noticed the leaves tip darken. Here are the pictures:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help Japanese maple

It went dry.

o

Hi jean, Could it be fertilizer burn too ? The merchant sold me the plant applied a handful slow release fertilizer in the pot that day. The plant was in display room and was in a warm place. My garden is windy and dry in day time. But it's foggy at night. The maple may be in transition shock.

o

Hi Sam, I would say yes to your question about fert. If your merchant put slow release in the pot and you hit it with fish emulsion, i would say too much hot sauce for this little guy. Keep in mind that tree needs afternoon shade and maybe a fall pot-up. You can pot-up these at most anytime, but if you think it needs some root-work you might want to wait until dormancy.
AL

o

JM's also dont like very windy conditions either.

o

Thanks Al and Houstonetexas for their reply. I can't wait for fall to pot up. Today I unpotted the JM and it was a little pot bound. The soil mix is bark and gravel mix. I loosen up the root ball and mix some new bark along with some gravels in a 2 gallon pot. I chose not to disturb the root ball but the barks looked so old. Do you guys ever replaced the old aged barks with new barks ?

o

Sam, No...That partially decayed bark is the good stuff! The Garden Web also has a forum on potted trees and plants if you click on the 'other forums' link. There is some good tips on there as well, where they discuss potting medium in great detail.
~AL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here