Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese maple rust?

Posted by Connecticutian18 none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 4:15

I have an amazing Japanese maple tree in my front yard. It's about 20 feet tall and 15 ft wide, I recently noticed that almost all of it's leaves have developed one or two white spots on them. They look similar to an apple rust scab, and the tree happens to be right next to an apple tree infected with apple rust. Do the diseases carry over to neighboring trees? What can I do to make it better? The maple leaf spots look sort of like a tiny bird pooped on each of them by the way.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese maple rust?

need pictures, please

o

Here's the top and the underside of some infected leaves. Thanks !

o

Underside

o

Not rust.

Perhaps a leaf spot but looks like it occurred a while ago. Is it spreading?

o

It has spread to pretty much the entire tree. Plus a smaller Japanese maple in the backyard has the same spots on almost the entire tree as well.

o

Not rust and not scab - neither of these are issues with acers.

Spotting on JM leaves is usually an indication of uneven watering practices, either by nature or via irrigation. That is, allowing the tree to dry out too much between watering......best to keep the soil evenly moist, if at all possible. Sometimes this can be aggravated by weather conditions - extended periods of hot dry weather followed by rainy periods. Not at all uncommon and nothing to be concerned about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here