Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Maple...buy now, plant in spring?

Posted by karen_rc 4b Canada (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 9:38

Hi all,
I've got the opportunity to purchase 3 small (in 2 gallon pots) Japanese Maples for a very good price. I'm in the process of redoing a garden bed, ripping out a ton of invasive perennial roots (planted by the previous owner), but won't have the bed ready to plant this fall.

Can I leave the trees in their pots over the winter and plant next spring? If so, what should I do to protect them? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Karen in Keswick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Maple...buy now, plant in spring?

Just so you know, USDA 5 is usually considered the lowest zone JM's can be safely grown in....and even a number of zone 5 souls have difficulty with them :-)

Yes, you can overwinter them in their containers but they will need protection. An unheated basement or barely heated garage - somewhere where the temperature does not fall much, if anything, below freezing but stays below around 45F (7C) also. Or, you can sink the pots in the ground outdoors in a protected location but you do run some risk of cold damage if you have a rough winter, just by virtue of your location.

o
RE: Japanese Maple...buy now, plant in spring?

If you sink them in the ground, put them where they will be in shade all through winter. This will slow down bud swelling in spring and lessen the chance of a late freeze killing the buds.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here