Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Older leaves browning & curling , new growth fine? Whats going on

Posted by redraif 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 9:47

I have a young Crimson Queen I bought this spring. I noticed his new growth is fine, but his older leaves are borwning at the tips and curling. Is he just in need of more water?

I had one die of water overload last year due to bad drainage. I redid the bed corectly and replaced him with this guy, so I'm trying to be careful. Maybe I'm being to conservative this time. The other 2 jap. maples are ok, but they were bought last year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Older leaves browning & curling , new growth fine? Whats goin

Initially, the symptoms of overwatering and underwatering are nearly identical. Underwatering of newly or recently planted plants tends to be a very common issue and if you are certain any previous drainage problems have been correctly addressed, then I'd lean to the plant just needing more water. But I'd want to be very certain of good drainage before I leapt to that conclusion :-)

Less frequent but quite deep, thorough watering is more beneficial than frequent light watering.

o

What is the best way to check my moisture level? I don't want to fall into last years trap!

o

Insert index finger to the second knuckle inside the rootball. If hot or dry, water. If cool or moist you're good.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here