Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container potted Japanese Maple...left outdoors during winter?

Posted by cadillactaste none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 10:22

Thanks for taking the time to read my post...I am considering doing a fairy garden or childhood memory garden. I was considering adding a miniature JM and hanging a mini tire swing from a branch.

Not sure if the outdoor garden that will be in a container will need to be brought in during winter months if I planted a JM in it.. This would decide my size of container I did use.

Also some suggestion as to which miniature JM for this task would be appreciated as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container potted Japanese Maple...left outdoors during winter

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 14:18

We need to know what zone you're in, or better yet, general location where you live.
Mike

o

So sorry about that...that would be helpful wouldn't it. I live in N.E.Ohio,which our area is a Zone 5.

Thanks Mike!

o

Zone 5 is pretty much the lower hardiness range for Japanese maples. Any container-grown JM will need winter protection in your climate - either indoors under low heat or sunk in the ground. And it really doesn't matter what size container.

And 'miniature' JM's is a bit misleading :-) Sure, there are dwarf varieties but even dwarfs grow. And often faster than you would expect. I'd take mature size listings for dwarf JM's you find online with a large grain of salt - they tend to be seriously understated. Both my dwarf 'Mikawa Yatsubusa' and 'Hupp's Dwarf' - not supposed to exceed 4-5 feet - are already close to 4' feet tall and still very young. And are low graft plants as well. I know of one Mikawa planted inground that is around 15' tall!!

I've included a pretty good link for "dwarf" JM's - but keep in mind these guys - like all other trees - just keep on growing :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: dwarf Japanese maples

o

Thanks GardenGal48...I guess I hadn't realized that. I just assumed ones put them in containers they must stay small. And doing a Google search they showed tiny trees in planters. Some even shallow planters.

Re-thinking tree idea...

o

Tiny trees in shallow planters are bonsai :-) Very doable with Japanese maples but a LOT more work than simply growing a tree in a container. Which in itself is a lot more work than growing the same tree in the ground.

o

A lot of work...Hm-mmm Not sure I wish to get in under my head on this project. I want to enjoy it not have it have the best of me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here