Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
japanese maple planted in pot has water sitting on top now

Posted by thomas_nh z5 New England (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 08 at 11:34

I planted an expensive Japanese maple in a cement container. I bought the plant from Wayside Gardens about 5 years ago. I surrounded the pot every winter with insulation. It has done well until now. Water from several recent rains sits on the top soil, about three inches of water. it does not go down. I lifted the pot an inch or so to check the center hole for draining. A large tree root is in the center hole. what can I do? some of the leaves are discoloring now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: japanese maple planted in pot has water sitting on top now

Clearly the drainage has been compromised. Has the tree ever been root pruned and repotted? If not, you need to do so and soon. While this is not an ideal time for this activity, waiting until a more suitable time will seriously jeopardize the health of your tree, if it has not been done already. Poor drainage is typically the kiss of death for Japanese maples. It also sounds as if the tree is seriously rootbound in the container, which is also a very stressful situation - containerized plants that become seriously rootbound are unable to access needed nutrients (you'll find most of the soil/potting mix has disappeared) or moisture (if not in the compromised drainage state yours seems to be in) and growth will be stunted. Stressed plants are much more prone to insect and disease problems as well.

I'd recommend removing the tree from the container immediately, root prune as necessary and repot with fresh potting soil. It is also possible you will need to bump up the container size although careful root pruning may avoid this need. You should allow at least a 2" clearance from the root mass to the sides of the container.

o
RE: japanese maple planted in pot has water sitting on top now

Thank you. sounds like my best way to proceed would be to plant it in the ground somewhere in my landscape. I can always use the container for something else. it is pretty small. It is 16 inches square and about the same height. I bet the plant now has nowhere to go with its roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here