Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Autumn Blaze Maple Blossoms

Posted by plantingman 6 (samnsarah620@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Aug 31, 10 at 11:45

Does the Acer freemanii ʻJeffersredʼ (Autumn Blaze) produce blossoms? I know that it is a male cultivar, so it does not produce seeds. But since it is a male cultivar does it produce male blossoms (lacks female blossom parts)? I thought I read someplace else that the Autumn Blaze does not produce any blossoms at all. Does anyone have an Autumn Blaze Maple tree who could confirm that this hybrid does not produce blossoms?
The reason I am asking this is because I am highly allergic to maple tree pollen. Male maple tree blossoms produce large quantities of pollen, but a tree that doesn't produce any blossoms would, of course, not produce any pollen. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Autumn Blaze Maple Blossoms

It's a maple that's probably as close that you're going to get to being nearly sterile.

Reference link below:

"Variation within the species: Red maple forms natural hybrids with silver maple (A. saccharinum): Acer X freemanii E. Murray. The hybrids, however, are nearly sterile."

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Second Link from the top of the page: doc - SILVER MAPLE

o

Thank you, Dax. That is very helpful. I had read somewhere else that the Autumn Blaze maple rarely produced seeds or blossoms, but I wanted to make sure. Having an Autumn Blaze growing in my back yard will not make my allergies any better, but it won't make them worse either. Sometimes the best help is not to hurt.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 2, 10 at 19:50

I think "nearly sterile" in such a context refers to seed production.

o

I am still researching this tree, but I am hearing that the autumn blaze maple rarely produces seeds or blossoms. No blossoms would mean no pollen, but I am still researching it. I just contacted Poplar Farms, Inc. who developed the Autumn Blaze maple to see if they know for sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here