Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fatlard

Help ID a japanese maple

fatlard
16 years ago

I got this japanese maple from Meijer for $12... the label said "Japanese Maple Summer Blush" This is a about 6-7 feet tall

Picture below

{{gwi:1046639}}
{{gwi:1046640}}

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

Post a jpeg of the trunk area so we can see if it is grafted... There are hundreds of named cultivars out there and there are a gazillion seedling trees not grafted or otherwise similarly propagated but seed grown. The name is ENGLISH and could have been given to it by any bozo I have never seen it listed but that is no mbig surprise ;>)... Even if the tree is grafted identification will be impossible to anything close to definte. It is a linearlobum leaf form and a really nice tree and for $12 for a tree that size I woudn't be too concerned with a "true" name...The linearlobums seem to be especially hardy for our area for some reason ...I haven't lost any even to the ice storms cold spells summer heat or the late disasterous freeze so it is likely a good choice for you but I would put it in a protected area ...even though hardy "generally" as far as my experience the green barked trees seem less so than the red bark maybe their thin bark is even thinner but that has been my experience./ David

• fatlard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is a better picture.. is this what you are asking.. for the trunk?

Do you have any idea how big this one will grow? Can I put it really close to the house? Should i worry about its roots?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• fatlard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is another close up

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

Oh crud...I'm sorry I was gonna repost and be more specific i knew this was gonna happen after rereading my post!!... Post a pic of the trunk base without the paper wrap ( remove that) from soil line in the pot up about 2 feet.. a close up.. thats where the graft "may" be ..I'm sorry I knew I should have posted a more specific request David

• fatlard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How about this one? Does this one help?

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

Hard to tell it may be but I see no sign of it ...of course it may be planted to deep as many are in big box mass produced stores..if it is grafted it is done well which I find hard to believe as pr your purchase place...But You got a great deal and a very nice tree anyway what ever it is although I doubt it will actually have a summer "blush" growth maybe?? but I doubt 'blush from that type of tree but I could be wrong let us know next year ;>) ..David