Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unwanted Maple Tree

Posted by petpalikali WI-Z4 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 12:30

Hey all, I bought a house last year, huge yard to garden in...yay me! Anyway, I first looked at it in the dead of winter, and purchased it in early Spring. When I moved in August 1st I realized there were three giant maple trees, one shading out my Plum and Apple trees. I'm on a disability fixed income and can't afford to have cut down. Is there a safe way to kill the tree? Or, does anyone know someone in the Green Bay area who can cut it down for firewood or really, really cheap?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unwanted Maple Tree

you could try girdling, taking an axe and chipping a thin ring around the trunk, severing the top of the tree from the roots by cutting into the cambien layer.

once dead, you'll still need to cut it down, a storm or some strong winds will eventually knock it over and maybe take down a power line or onto a car or into the roof, etc.

o
RE: Unwanted Maple Tree

You could try posting on Craig's List but be careful who you let cut it down...especially if it's where it can do some damage, oh, say, to a power line or onto a car or into the roof, etc.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here