Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonyb416

Planting Orido Nishiki and Aconitifolium in the fall

tonyb416
16 years ago

I purchased 1-year old grafts of these two cultivars and they're currently sitting in the area that I want to plant them.

Should I protect them with chicken wire or a burlap screen from the deer and the winter winds?

The area I've designated is the west-northwest area of my property.

I'm also hoping to plant an oak and hickory sapling (thank you, squirrels) to provide some afternoon shade to these two cultivars.

Thanks,

Tony

Comments (6)

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

If you are smart with such a young tree you should keep them potted in the garagee after the first hard freeze...IMHO they are WAY to young to plant out and expect survival or at least not serious damage... If you have already planted out I'd wait til dormant and dig them back out and re-pot them and then garage them... a one year graft is basically a twig with leaves and should be treated as such ...david

• tonyb416
    Original Author
    16 years ago

haven't planted them in the ground yet, david. so i should just keep these watered and then when it goes dormant, keep it in the garage till next spring? at that point would i plant in the ground or baby it in the pot for one more year?

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

Very lightly watered once they go dormant only when they seem dry ..they will likly be frozen solid at least part of the time anyway if it is a cold winter ...what size containers are these in.??..if really small you may want to move 'em up to a bit larger ones after dormancy ... I would probably keep them potted next summer and do the same next fall and plant out the following year but you can see how much they grow and have a good feel next late spring whether you should plant out. Both are pretty hardy...the Oridono surprisingly so...So you made great choices just a bit small but then they likely didn't cost an arm and leg either and keeping them in pots is kind of fun by the time you plant them out you will likely have changed your mind on location a dozen times and maybe have a dozen more larger ones...JM's are an addiction... but I think if they are in a small pot I'd put them in a bigger one to give them more insulation for the winter ( unheated grarage BTW)Others may have overwintered stuff in small pots and give differnt advise, I have not, and am a bit uneasy about it David

• Meiji
    16 years ago

Anecdotally, I lost my 4' Orido Nishiki to cold one mild winter when every other maple in my collection survived. Don't expose yours to unnecessary stress.

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

Why one JM dies and others don't is a mystery and the cause can never be known ( usually).. Oridono nishiki is a very hardy adaptable tree in my experience ...Mine was one of the few that no damage from last springs freeze or last winters rather cold temps and severe weather... There are SO MANY factors that go into the survival of these rather tempermental trees it is mind boggeling...But I doubt the cold was a factor without other nefarious stuff also involved ( ie: disease , root problems , wetness yatayatayata...David

• ezochi
    16 years ago

I know I had a Bloodgood that bit the dust due to two things combined: 1) a dry late Fall and 2) wind exposure, and the fact I didn't know how to take care of these trees back then. Probably watering would've helped it survive the drying winds. However, for the most part even the ebay "sticks" survived the winter though reduced by rabbits. They came back big time--even the smallest 12-inch stick denuded of branches. As long as you create favorable conditions for them such as wind protection and water regularly during dry or hot periods they are very hardy.