Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fmogul_gw

Dark Cloud over my Ukigumo

fmogul
16 years ago

Yes, I know fussy, temperamental Ukigumo's are a regular thread in this forum, but most of those seem to be about recent transplants. Mine's well into Year Two (planted last spring) and no sign of variegation whatsoever. The leaves are 100% green. It's too late to hope for anything this year, and I'll give it another year to prove itself, but I wonder what the odds are of it ever getting those nice green-and-white leaves? I had pretty much given up on it, then last weekend I saw a nice specimen in a local park and had foliage envy and got to thinking maybe there is some hope for mine, after all.

It's in a small shade garden where it only gets a few hours of direct sun and a few more of dappled. I probably amended the soil a little too much before planting but have left it alone since. Drainage is good, and it's generally healthy.

What do you think? Is it likely to increase in variegation over time or stay the same? Any measures to take? I assume not and that all I can do is patiently wait, but feel free to make some suggestions!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH