Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dark Cloud over my Ukigumo

Posted by fmogul z7 NY (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 07 at 13:17

Yes, I know fussy, temperamental Ukigumo's are a regular thread in this forum, but most of those seem to be about recent transplants. Mine's well into Year Two (planted last spring) and no sign of variegation whatsoever. The leaves are 100% green. It's too late to hope for anything this year, and I'll give it another year to prove itself, but I wonder what the odds are of it ever getting those nice green-and-white leaves? I had pretty much given up on it, then last weekend I saw a nice specimen in a local park and had foliage envy and got to thinking maybe there is some hope for mine, after all.

It's in a small shade garden where it only gets a few hours of direct sun and a few more of dappled. I probably amended the soil a little too much before planting but have left it alone since. Drainage is good, and it's generally healthy.

What do you think? Is it likely to increase in variegation over time or stay the same? Any measures to take? I assume not and that all I can do is patiently wait, but feel free to make some suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dark Cloud over my Ukigumo

My guess would be yes...unless it is in too much shade then all bets are off ...Mine has also been in the ground for two years and shows no variegation...it does get afternoon filtered sun ... I personally think it is a really pretty tree even with out it but I assume mine will eventually show some but if not I really don't care (it's one less "burning" problem to deal with ;>)).
Everyone should always remember that those picture perfect photos you see in catalogues are there for a reason ...to sell the tree ...I would bet most don't ever look that good or only for a short period of time...and most likely vary from year to year except in the most perfect growing areas under the most perfect growing conditions..David

o
RE: Dark Cloud over my Ukigumo

In Orygun, "Ukigumo" can be planted out in full sun and does quite well after getting established. But even here, it will throw green branches that normally revert to varigated the next year. The right coast is a much different world from here, but I would still question the validity of the plant if no varigation is noted in two years of growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here