Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redwing2_gw

Autumn Blaze Maple Problem

Redwing2
10 years ago

I have developed a problem with my Autumn Blaze Maple and have included two pictures. I live in southern Minnesota and planted the tree in the spring of 2010. It has done very well up until this point. About 3 or 4 weeks ago, the leaves on two braches coming off the trunk, have wilted and dried up. This started in late July or early Aug. Each year I have done some minor pruning to keep its shape by pruning off the ends of some branches. I usually trim it at the end of the season or in spring before it starts to bud but I did do some minor trimming this year during the growing season. Our weather this year was cool and wet in the spring and now dryer and hotter but I do water when needed. Each spring I fertilize by poking small holes in the ground around the perimeter of the tree and adding 10-10-10 fertilizer into the holes (not sure how much total fertilizer I use but much less than 5 pounds). I have looked at the leaves and do not see any bugs/mites etc. My thought is to just leave it alone for the rest of this growing season and see how it looks next season. If there is some reason to cut off these branches to keep the problem from spreading, I would do that but it would significantly diminish the uniform look of the tree. If there is any other info. that would be helpful, please let me know and I can add that. I love this tree and want to save it but am not sure what is wrong or what to do about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor