Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Maple overwinter?

Posted by greendale 6B (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 14:06

Hi, All:

I know it is too early to think about overwintering, but want to get prepared. I got the following JPs this spring, they were in pots with diameter 6 and 1/4 inches. (Can you tell how many gallons the pot is from the diameter?) I potted them up to pots with diameter 8 and 1/2 inches. They were not pot bound in the original pot but I potted them up anyway. (Did not want to bother them too much to pot them down again). The tree are around 2 feet tall. Should I bring them in an attached garage/unheated basement or bury the pot into ground outside. (I am a little concerned they are too young for our brutal winter outside.) Also, are they true to the names? Thanks.

Autumn Moon
 photo 20140803_084.jpg

Tsuma Gaki
 photo 20140803_083.jpg

Kasaki Yama
 photo 20140803_081.jpg

Bloodgood
 photo 20140803_096.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Maple overwinter?

I'm in 6b too. You should be fine burying them *if* you have an area that is sheltered.

I have a small Autumn Moon in-ground in a sheltered area in the lee of my house, it made it through the terrible winter we just had with no dieback. I had no problem with trees in pots that I mulched in nearby against the house. However, I lost a Tsuma Gaki and a Kasagiyama that were in more exposed areas of the landscape. FWIW, my Bloodgood was fine in a very exposed area, but it is also a *lot* bigger.

o

Thanks ysrgrathe. I am in RI. What do you mean sheltered? Like something overhang with roof? My back yard northern side is fenced. Will it ok they are buried close to the fence? Thanks again.

o

I'm not an expert, but I think the most important factors are protection from wind and sun. Wind dries and can lower effective temperatures, sun can lead to frost cracking and other heating damage when the roots are frozen. Your location near a fence sounds like it could be good if it is a buffer from prevailing winds and the winter sun.

o

• Posted by raee zone 5 OH (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 17:17

Here in 5a I have overwinter JM without problems in pots, either in my compost pile or sandwiched between 2 hay bales (with the gaps stuffed with more hay and hay piled up around the tops -- that was this past nasty winter where temps dropped to -18F). Mine was a Bloodgood and an unknown variety. I don't know if your others are perhaps more tender.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here