Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chera10

Japanese Maple twig breaks

chera10
16 years ago

Hi,

I am new to gardening and every day is I learn some thing new and it has now become my hobby.

I planeted Japaneese Maple (a.k.a crimosn queen a.k.a acer plamatum.. etc..) tree on last september. Last year it survived but I should have protected from snow/wind. Know I came to know that such ornamental trees need to be protected from snow/wind with burlap in their begning years.

But after good care, watering 2/3 times a week I saw some new growth in spring. I got over entusiastic and added some fertilizer. I didn't see any new growth but the tree is showing some decease signs. It's leaf's are ok but started to brown at the tips on some braches. The new growth is coming here and there but doesn't look healthy. Then in the month of mid July I started it's twig is getting broken on majority of the stems. It started to worry me that I have done some unrecoverable damage. I am looking for expert advise at this point, if any one of you gone through this issue and how to make this tree survive. My neigbhor told me it will die slowly in 1/2 years.. :-(

Roger

Comments (5)

• chera10
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Images Link

First Image:

Second Image:

Third Image:

Fourth Image:

• chera10
    Original Author
    16 years ago

any one recognize this Decease? :(

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

It doesn't look like any maple disease I am familiar with, although it's possible those splits are the beginning of a canker problem. However, they look to me more like a reaction to climate extremes - sharp cold spells can freeze the fluids just under the bark and if exposed to sun or warm temperatures, they can rupture, splitting the thin bark. While not particularly desireable, these splits are generally not a major problem, specially when so tiny. The tree will scar them over itself and you need to do nothing further other than making sure it doesn't happen again.

And there is nothing in the leaf appearance that causes concern - looks pretty much like normal summer adjustment/wear and tear on a newly planted dissectum.

I'd avoid much more fertilizing. First, the plants seldom require as much as we think they do, excessive growth encouraged by fertilizing is more prone to insect and disease issues as well as weather damage and fertilizing a plant under any kind of stress - and that includes weather, drought, or diseases - is not a good idea. Just a layer of a good organic mulch around the base, avoiding the trunk, is all that is necessary.

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

I was hoping someone would say what GG did ...I am not expert enough to know for sure but that was what I thought also ...The only other possibility is hail damage which i have seen similar signs on trees that were sold to me with that specified although i wasn't sure I believed them at the time it is possible ... One thing is i don't think this is recent damage maybe early spring or before you got the tree and you just didn't notice and the scaring got more pronounced ... Whatever it looks like it is healing normally without any spreading look to it and the tree looks healthy ..chill out and enjoy your tree . David

• chera10
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to both of you. It's a big relief to me.
    I think both of your diagnosis is perfect.

We ran into climate estremes. Once on July long weekend. Thew weather was so hot and sry, suddenly clouds formed and we got heavy hail for 30 min non-stop. The ice shells around 1/2 inch diameter stayed in lawn and garden for atleast 1 hr without melting.

And then again another small hail in August.
    May be these two hails contributed to that problem.

The other mistake also I did was .. I didn't protect the poor plant in winter. My gareden doesn't have any trees (I planted some this year :) hoping to get some wind protection). This winter I am going to stake some bamboo sticks 2 feet away from the maples perimeter and cover that up with burlap to protect from winter winds. I will let you know how it goes.

I stopped chemical fertilizing my trees and shrubs now.. and exclusively feeding them with leaf/yard campost. I saw big difference this summer after I started using compost. They keep on flowering for extensive periods, My zinnias, rose of sharons, salvias started blooming from early June and thy are non stop until now and see new buds coming out. Need to stop them before we run into fall. :)

Regards,
    Roger