Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long are Red Japanese Maple good for

Posted by jbest123 Zone 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 07 at 14:19

My neighbor has a Red Japanese Maple with thousands of seeds. If I harvest seeds this October how long can I keep them and still have good germination? John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long are Red Japanese Maple good for

They can germinate for several years. In fact, if you sew them out you will likely get only 30 percent or so germination the next spring. Then next year you could get around 20 percent, then 10 or so the next year.

But I would suggest following a stratification plan.
Here is a decent explanation of all this mess:

http://www.soonerplantfarm.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/specials.specDetail/recID/16/index.htm

The best way to cold stratify is by soaking the seeds (wings and all) in water for a day, then spraying with fungicide. Then, place them in a slightly moist 50% peat/50% perlite soil mix in a plastic baggy. Then leave this in the bottom of the fridge about 60 days before spring planting date. They should be ready to sew by 90 days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here