Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boppette

Shantung Maple

boppette
18 years ago

I am trying to find a nursery in Houston or online that carries the Shantung maple tree. So far, I haven't had much success. HELP!

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• koniferkid_nj
    18 years ago

Try Forest Farms or Greer Gardens...

• newgars
    18 years ago

Or ArborVillage in Holt Mo. One of the best sources for rare trees in affordable and shipable sizes.

• gardenluvr_2006
    17 years ago

Try Sooner Plant Farm. They have a great selection of maples, including Shantung, and you can purchase online. Pretty slick site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sooner Plant Farm

• lou_spicewood_tx
    17 years ago

I like Sooner Plant Farm. They develop pretty good root system using Whitcomb method, superior to plain ol plastic pots.

I like Metro Maples the best (metromaples.com) which is in Mansfield south of Ft Worth. Amazing place. Maples of all kinds in the middle of forest! I got Shantung "Fire Dragon". Metro Maples has a patient on it so they are the only place that has it. I paid 45 dollars for 7 gallons. Well worth the price considering the root system is well developed and the tree was only 5 feet tall. They are fast growing so I'm not too worried about it being short as long as the roots are in good shape. I plan on going back there and getting another Fire Dragon in the fall when it's cooler.

I occasionally see Shantung maples at lowes and Home Depot but they don't last very long. Seems to be popular these days over here.

• Pamchesbay
    15 years ago

Hi Lou: I planned to order a couple of "Fire Dragon" Shantung maples. When I contacted Metro Maples, they said they don't ship. Or if they do, they ship very small trees and they don't have any left.

I know they hold the patent but they may have a business arrangement with other nurseries to sell the tree. Do you know if there is another source. DWF is about 1,500 miles from VA.

Many thanks,
    Pam

• ltruett
    15 years ago

Pam,

Metro Maples ship their Fire Dragon shantungs around March 1st. I got mine early March and it had already started to leaf out so I imagine it would be difficult to ship them any later than that. Mine was probably about 4 feet tall and has put on over a foot of growth so far with most of the time me dragging it in and out until just recently. I'm not aware of anyone else that grows "Fire Dragon" so you might be out of luck until next year if you want that particular tree.

• arktrees
    15 years ago

I talked to the owner of Metro Maples about the "Fire Dragon" last November, and he mentioned that it is being evaluated by some of the big producers, but I don't know if it is going to be picked up though. I do know if you go to your local nurseries and ask for it, they will ask their growers and help create a ready made market, that will be filled.

As for now, it is my understanding that he will (at least has the last couple years) ship some during the dormant season (dormant season for DFW), so if you can wait, that may be your best options for those too far away from DFW. We got ours because the owner happened to be coming to our town last November.

Now I have to recommend "Fire Dragon" as being worth the effort. Our just took on a very nasty late freeze, and came out of it UNHARMED. Tough tree!

• Pamchesbay
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info about Fire Dragon. I'm am intrigued by this tree (thanks, Lou). I understand the reluctance of Metro Maples to ship after the tree breaks dormancy so I'll place my order early next year.