Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucygreenthumb

New Ukigumo...help with it's requirements please.

lucygreenthumb
15 years ago

Hi All,

I rescued a 3 foot tall Ukigumo from Lowes' clearance this weekend. I know I'm in an iffy area for them cold wise, but it was so cheap that I couldn't resist. Now I need some general advice and help deciding where he will be happiest outdoors.

I don't want to overdo it, but I do want to give this poor tree his best chance. It's too late in the season to fertilize and I don't think he needs it. He has brown leaf tips that I'm guessing are from the watering routine at the store.

Anyhow, if you could point me to websites with great info on Ukigumos I would appreciate it and would happily accept any advice. I'm a good all around gardener, BUT until now I've only admired JMs from a distance.

I don't have the ideal morning sun only site in my small yard and I'm not sure which of the two sites I do have would be best.

The first location will be against the northside of the house, tucked in a sheltered spot between the deck stairwell and house, protected from winter winds, with moist soil - the downside is this is full shade, and under the gutters which tend to overflow in a hard rain. (Yes, I keep them clear, theres something about them that's not quite right.) I will build a up the small raised bed to help with drainage. But I wonder if it'll be too wet during rainy spells.

The second spot is more exposed, drier (tree root competition) and will get dappled afternoon sun.

I'm guessing spot one is the better choice, but I respect the vast expertise and experience on this forum, so tell it to me like it is please!

Also, I do want to build a small raised bed to help with drainage - the site is only about 3 feet across so I can't build it too high. I have nice rich Iowa soil, what would you recommend to improve the drainage. It's against the house foundation, so would some pine bark nuggets help with drainage and soil pH?

I also have leaf compost, and access to aged horse manure and sawdust, but I'm thinking the horse byproducts would be too much.

Thanks in advance for all advice on my impulse buy!

Comments (6)

• jack99
    15 years ago

Hi lucygreenthumb (love the name). I'm in zone 6 so I'm not sure how much I can help you, but I bought a Ukigumo two years ago. Mine gets a little direct afternoon sun but that's it and I don't see much variegation anymore, so I'm thinking the sunnier location would work better for you. I also have other maples that are in sun most of the day and in very exposed areas where snow gets piled up on them in the winter and they're perfectly fine. It is a beautiful tree however and I wish you luck! Most J maples like a slightly acidic soil and consistant water but not wet so watch the drainage. I've never fertilized any of mine. They don't seem to be picky about anything!

• kaitain4
    15 years ago

My Uki is doing fine in a brick-lined planting bed between the back porch and the patio. Its about 2 feet wide and L shaped. The Uki is planted right on the corner.

It gets dappled shade in the morning (huge oaks), about 2 hours of early afternoon sun and then dappled shade the rest of the day til about 4PM. I picked this spot to keep it somewhat in the shade, but to also provide wind protection. My hill can get quite windy.

At the end of this slide show are 4 pics of my Uki..

Japanese Maples - Spring '08

• dendo
    15 years ago

Hey Lucygreenthumb ,

I live in cold zone 5 and have a Ukigumo right out in the open and it does well after it is established . If you got it at Lowes the chances are that it came from oregon . It will die back at the tips at the end of summer because they want to grow too long and does not harden off quick enough for frost time . I would not fertilize it . Maples do not need too much fertilizers . You want them to grow normal and shut down at the end of the growing season in your .area .

• lucygreenthumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    Many thanks for the great information!

I ended up building a small bed in the sheltered spot next to the house - the hostas in the second location were showing signs of sunburn and that finally decided me. The bed is about 2 feet by 5 feet long, 8" deep filled with organic topsoil and pine bark - but NO fertilizer (many thanks for that advice). The Uki is sharing the bed with three large leafed hostas and the foliage contrasts very nicely with those.

This is the spot I've been saving for a golden full moon maple - so maybe when I can grow more dappled shade I can move the Uki and replace it with the long dreamed of Aureum. I'm thinking a viridis in the other spot that gets more sun??? But I'm in no hurry to decide.

Again, many many thanks for the all the advice!

• kms4me
    15 years ago

Lucy,

I am in zone 4 and my Ukigumo is the hardiest JM I grow. It is the only one besides a 14-year-old atropurpurea that comes through the winter with no die-back.

Kate

• garcanad
    15 years ago

Kate
    I was plesantly surprised that your Ukigumo is doing well in Zone 4. I have many Japanese maples doing OK in my Zone 5 home, but I have been testing a few at my Zone 4 cottage. It appears that for those I tried (Bloodgood and root stocks) they typically died back to about 3 feet given no protection. I am just wondering what kind of environment (exposure and wind/sun shelters if any) you give your Ukigumo.

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia